What's new

Windows button

kristalsoldier

Hi...

I noticed something very odd this afternoon.

The Windows button on the right side of the screen (in landscape mode) seems to be activated even when I don't touch it!!!

It's really weird! If I hover my finger over it, it sometimes acts as if I have touched it. I made doubly sure about this...in fact, I tested it a number of times.

And since I thought I could be imagining it, I got a friend of mine to try it too and it worked the same way - that is, the button appears to be pressed even when not touched!!!

How can this even be possible? Very odd!!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can do the same thing with capacitive elevator buttons, you just have to get close enough to activate the capacitive sensor.

Edit: Mine isn't that sensitive but it got less sensitive when it slipped off the couch and hit the floor.

Last edited:
OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

You can do the same thing with capacitive elevator buttons, you just have to get close enough to activate the capacitive sensor.

Is this normal on all SP3s or indeed on any of the Surface devices? I can't say I have experienced this on my previous Surface devices - nor, for that matter, on this one. This seems to be a recent phenomenon!!! It is quite disconcerting, actually. Of course, I could shut down the button using the Surface Hub (which has been updated recently to allow this), but I have got into the habit of using the Windows button to switch between the MUI interface and the desktop.

Quite strange, actually. Do you know why this happens with capacitive buttons?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this normal on all SP3s or indeed on any of the Surface devices? I can't say I have experienced this on my previous Surface devices - nor, for that matter, on this one. This seems to be a recent phenomenon!!! It is quite disconcerting, actually. Of course, I could shut down the button using the Surface Hub (which has been updated recently to allow this), but I have got into the habit of using the Windows button to switch between the MUI interface and the desktop.

Quite strange, actually. Do you know why this happens with capacitive buttons?
See Edit above.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

It would be a pot luck option :)
Maybe you jarred yours the other direction.

LOL!!! I don't know. But my SP3 has been minimally moved for the past few days so that is not the reason. Oh well...its better than the other alternative - that the button is not working!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Um, some (mostly women) carry a higher capacitive charge (usually caused by certain types of clothing) which might activate capacitive buttons from a greater distance but I'm not saying that's your case. :cool:

Nicola

Long hair, woolen clothes, degree of humidity in the air are some of the factor that might influence capacitive touchscreen.
Since they should work in most of the conditions, they're usually calibrated on an average charge. If you deviate significantly, you can either have ghost touches or low sensitivity.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Long hair, woolen clothes, degree of humidity in the air are some of the factor that might influence capacitive touchscreen.
Since they should work in most of the conditions, they're usually calibrated on an average charge. If you deviate significantly, you can either have ghost touches or low sensitivity.
Well I have slipped off the couch and hit the floor too... maybe I'm running a low charge :D

and I don't have much hair and don't wear synthetics or nylons :D

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Thanks. Makes sense. I am indeed in a high humidity environment at the moment.