What's new

Windows Hello less reliable after update

wynand32

Have any of you noticed Windows Hello being less reliable/accurate after the update? Previously it was flawless--I might have had three instances total where I needed to enter my PIN. After the update, I have had multiple instances where it doesn't recognize me--maybe as many as every third time. And I've done far more training since the update than I did prior to it.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Hello on my Surface Book is MORE reliable, but that is with the latest Insider Build:
Official Windows 10 Insiders thread

Hmm, thanks for the input. Could be something specific to the SB (I know the tech is the same, but could be something else getting in the way). Would love to hear from some SP4 owners.

I was running the Insider build prior to the update, and have been debating going back to it. I just did a factory restore, and am sitting on the non-Insider build. So you think the latest Insider build is why Windows Hello is more reliable, or it's just incidental? Right now, that's the biggest reproducible issue I'm having with my SP4 post-update.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Just happened again. Same positioning, woke it up from sleep, couldn't identify me. That never happened prior to the update.

coolowl

Twice today Hello did not ID me so I disabled it. I've only had my SP4 six days so I'm not really a good judge if this is an issue or not. There were a couple of times this week when it didn't ID me, but most of the time it worked.

PotatoHole

It's been fine for me. even in pretty dark rooms. Sometimes it does seem a bit confused but it you hold your had up right in front of the camera and then immediately move it away it seems to force the camera to refocus. Try and see if that works for you and report back. I log in and out about 10-20 times a day and only have to do the hand trick now and again. Also don't keep still moving a little bit seems to be fine and might help.

CCalvinN

I haven't been able to use 'Hello' since the update, but not because the camera can't see me or recognize me. The camera won't even turn on. It just sits there at the "Turning Camera On" screen until it prompts you to use the PIN. Like CoolOwl, I haven't had my SP4 all that long (about three weeks in my case).

PotatoHole

Okay, I turned it back on and it's found me both ties I've tried it so things seem okay.
It might be just a reboot hing then. I wonder if for some people it's just going to sleep after the update rather than full reboot. I think you have to hold down the power button for about 30 seconds or something for a proper reboot but very not 100% sure on the actual time.
-edit- or choose the option in start menu to restart.

leeshor

I used the power -> shutdown. Worked fine for me first time every time. That's a basic cold boot.

coolowl

When I wrote I turned it back on I meant I opened the keyboard cover. Just did it again and it again recognized me, so it has worked perfectly three times in a row. I have those nine settings on Sleep (not hibernate, nor do nothing). I just close the keyboard cover when not in use.