What's new

Windows Insider Build 14279 & 14291 is a hot mess of BSOD

cmergel

This is my experience

Windows Insider Build 14279 & 14291 is a hot mess of BSOD. I am constantly getting BSOD on these two builds. More blue screens than any other insider builds to date for me. Just a few of them that I have captured. They are random. I was just sitting idle on one of them, didn't have anything open. Others were in Internet Explorer, iTunes, Windows Explorer, and OneNote.

Interrupt_Exception_Not_Handled
System_Thread_Exeception_Not_Handled
Driver_IRQ_Not_Less_Or_Equal (igdkmd64lp.sys)
System_Service_Exception (win32kfull.sys)

I just did a reset this morning to wipe everything and got back to a clean 14291 to see if this would make any difference. Nope. 5 minutes in and blue sad face...

These are insider builds, I know what I am in for. I have submitted a handful of insider feedback.

Anybody else experience this on the Surface 3?

I am in the process of going back to 10586 for stability and will try the next build when it comes out.

leeshor

I had posted on the forum that Insider builds on the fast ring could/should expect more problems gong forward as the fast ring builds are getting closer to what they are testing in house. Expect problems.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting the same errors - I think I'm going to force install the Intel Reference Driver

OP
cmergel

cmergel

Jeff let me know if you see any improvement. I tried applying a newer graphics driver from the intel site, but it would constantly fail with a windows encountered an error message. I have since gone back to Build 10586 and waiting for the next build to try.

Thanks.
Cameron

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've only had one day of BSOD's, snapping windows side by side in tablet mode, no no no.

But today I encountered a strange issue i've never come across before. WAs busy working, using surface and a secondary display, so naturally the flat ran out of power and everything turned off just as i got some inspiration. No worries, it has a battery. Except that when i came back from putting the power on the emergency funds, everything was back to how it was, second screen detected etc, only there was nothing being displayed. The mouse would move around both displays as normal, but just blank screens and a white cursor. Nothing i did could get the thing to work. A hard reset was required. I find it strange that unplugging the power cable never presents a problem, but cut the power at the wall, and all hell broke loose.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ironically some of the issues with BSOD and instability are related to Office 2016....I just received a new Office 2016 Build this morning and I'm testing.

OP
cmergel

cmergel

Interesting on the Office 2016.

I did install the latest build 14295 and after about 3 hours of use I haven't Blue Screen yet. We'll see.

Also, new issues i'm having with the latest build now is navigating with the stylus. The start button for one when using the pen to navigate it keeps disappearing when I click.

Minor hiccups in the road...

Last edited:
OP
cmergel

cmergel

Ok, installed 14316 Build. We'll see how this build shapes up. Band-Aids for all for being on the cutting edge. :)

Noticed the new installer now has updated from the circle progress bar. It now has three parts of the upgrade (Copying Files, Installing Features and Drivers, and lastly the Configuration Setting). One thing that I noticed on the S3 is after each part I had to manually turn the Surface back on. It is like with each part the computer was turned off. Once I powered it back on it went to the next part of the upgrade.

Curious if anybody else see this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've updated my Kangaroo portable HTPC this morning and worked as expected as did the SP4, installing now on my S3...I'll let you know the experience :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yep - The S3 is powering down and not rebooting, have you bugged it? If so, I will upvote if not I will submit the bug...