What's new

windows is freezing when I am on battery

alexd88

I still have the problem with freezing when i am using the surface on battery, when is pluged in i have no problem, when i am switching to battery surprise freezing very often sometime won t repond for almost 1minute sometimes when i push the windows buttom from the keyboard is starting to work (temporary fix). did someone managed to fix this problem? is very annoying for me.
Thx.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a thought - this has fixed a slew of issues for me. If it doesn't perhaps Windows is corrupt, or your battery is bad.
1) UN-install your SP4 Drivers / Reboot
2) RE-install your SP4 Drivers / Reboot

Get Drivers Here:
Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

3) Let me know if this helps. Very interested if this solves your issue. Its not a "Fix-All" - but again it has really hammered out some sticky issues for me.

Warmest Regards,

Mike

OP
A

alexd88

hello Mike,

How i can uninstal de sp4 drivers? I think is video driver problem related. The problem appeard after last video driver update, the problem after universary update has been solved when my surface is pluged in, but persist when is on battery.

Thank

OP
A

alexd88

And when the battery is getting low the freezing is more frequnt, and sometimes is freezing definitive and need to be killed from the power buttom. My configuration is i5 8gb 256gb.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
hello Mike,

How i can uninstal de sp4 drivers? I think is video driver problem related. The problem appeard after last video driver update, the problem after universary update has been solved when my surface is pluged in, but persist when is on battery.

Thank

Sorry for the delayed response - I am surprised no one else answered you. Regardless here is how you can un-install / reinstall SP4 Drivers.

1) Download the latest drivers from here----> Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center (make sure to grab the 237 mb file named "SurfacePro4_Win10_161201_0.msi")
2) Once downloaded, navigate to the file and open. You will have a few options, but 2/3 should be greyed out, you will want to click on "REMOVE"
3) Once you have removed the drivers, reboot your PC
4) Once rebooted, again navigate to the file you downloaded and open.
5) Install the drivers and reboot
6) Check to see if you issue(s) still exist
7) Enjoy
8)Come back to this page and hit like if it worked

Also - if you need a guide with pictures, I will be glad to make one for you.

Mike

OP
A

alexd88

Hy mike,
I download that file, i opend it i have only one option to instal what is in that package, i intalled it and after that i opent the exe from the intalation path and i telling me that didnt find a match for those driver, i didn t find any remove the uninstal the drivers.

OP
A

alexd88

does anyone know how i can reinstall all the drivers on my surface without reseting it or reinstalling the windows. after last update my surface still freeze on battery. sometimes i need to hard rest it to work. thx

OP
A

alexd88

i made a screen shoot of the proces and the error i am getting. look at it from 1 to 8

Attachments

• 5.png
    5.png
    50 KB · Views: 589
  • 3.png
    3.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 600
  • 4.png
    4.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 590
  • 7.png
    7.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 585
  • 1.png
    1.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 596
  • 2.png
    2.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 576
  • 6.png
    6.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 592
  • 8.png
    8.png
    408.4 KB · Views: 626

Philtastic

Given the severity of your issue, you probably should have tried a system refresh to bring it all back to defaults and tested it then: if the problem went away, you'd know that it was a software issue; if it didn't, you would know that it was a hardware issue and could have sought a warranty replacement. As much as you don't want to wipe everything, I'd highly suggest doing a complete system refresh and then testing your SP4 before reinstalling your own software and files.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to agree with Philtastic - Reloading your system might be in order at this point. Its a simple process and I'd be glad to assist you with it. You can simply back up your data using any type of solution you prefer, reload Windows - then see if your issue(s) persist. It could be a hardware issue, or not. Bottom line your system should not "lock up" or "freeze up" for any reason. Sure a short pause happens from time to time even with the best of machines, but locking up when switching to battery operations is not good. It almost sounds as though your issue may be hardware related. Let me know if I can help and I will send you my email addy.

OP
A

alexd88

today i have tried to restore to factory but windows tells me that he can t complete the procese. so i download the windows image from microsoft for a clean instalation and tomorow i will try it and come back with review abouth my problem, this problem appeard at a point after an update at firmware and video via windows update, at that time also when it was pluged in windows get freezed, but after another update when was pluged in problem has been solved and persist since the with the battery, i think is related with video card drivers, i tried to instal new ones but same problem the old one i didnt manage to find it any more on intel website.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
today i have tried to restore to factory but windows tells me that he can t complete the procese. so i download the windows image from microsoft for a clean instalation and tomorow i will try it and come back with review abouth my problem, this problem appeard at a point after an update at firmware and video via windows update, at that time also when it was pluged in windows get freezed, but after another update when was pluged in problem has been solved and persist since the with the battery, i think is related with video card drivers, i tried to instal new ones but same problem the old one i didnt manage to find it any more on intel website.

Above all make sure your format your USB drive to Fat32 when using Rufus to rip your Windows 10 .iso or the Surface Pro 4 won't recognize it at all. Anyhow - the best of luck to you and please let me know if you need any assistance at all as I have successfully reloaded my SP4 numerous times.