What's new

Windows Journal

ctitanic

Windows Journal is a legacy application released in 2002 when the first version of XP for Tablet PC was released. Since them it has been present in all the newest Windows releases. So why I'm mentioning now? Well, because no everybody knows that it supports ink (handwriting).

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

A simple and easy to use little application forgotten on time.

double07

I have noticed and played around with it a little. It is pretty nice. I am not sure what the use for this? I am using OneNote heavily already.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

I have noticed and played around with it a little. It is pretty nice. I am not sure what the use for this? I am using OneNote heavily already.
That's the main point, When OneNote came the use of Journal became minimal.

But let say that you want to want to explain something with a little schema that you don't want to save in OneNote. Or that you want to send somebody this schema. All PC includes Journal so they do not have to install anything to open your note. ;)

rabilancia

Journal's simplicity really captivated me in 2002--so much so, I resisted converting to OneNote for a very long time even though I had OneNote installed on my TabletPC.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Journal's biggest advantage early on was that it used the TabletPC Ink API where OneNote used the Office Ink API and it wasn't very fluid, that all changed by Office 2010 when the Office team adopted the Windows Ink API for OneNote and Word...

Office 2013 SP1 uses the WinRT Ink API with a SHIM for talking to the Windows Ink API for Windows 7 machines...

double07

The most recent update of OneNote enabling ink on Android is so awesome. Ink is very responsive compare to S-Note. Early this week I was in PuppetLabs Conference, I decided to packed SF3, Samsung Note 2014 and my trusty Note 3. I ended up using my Samsung Note 2104 to take a note using OneNote instead of SF3. Of course inking from Android is limited in term of features compare to SF3. But for quick note it did the job. Sync is the best part. I am not sure if WinJournal support the sync or not? I have not played with it enough.

double07

Windows Journal is a legacy application released in 2002 when the first version of XP for Tablet PC was released. Since them it has been present in all the newest Windows releases. So why I'm mentioning now? Well, because no everybody knows that it supports ink (handwriting).

View attachment 3241 View attachment 3242

A simple and easy to use little application forgotten on time.

@ctitanic, how do you capture the screen and manipulated the image like that? With Samsung Note, it is a built-in stuff.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

The most recent update of OneNote enabling ink on Android is so awesome. Ink is very responsive compare to S-Note. Early this week I was in PuppetLabs Conference, I decided to packed SF3, Samsung Note 2014 and my trusty Note 3. I ended up using my Samsung Note 2104 to take a note using OneNote instead of SF3. Of course inking from Android is limited in term of features compare to SF3. But for quick note it did the job. Sync is the best part. I am not sure if WinJournal support the sync or not? I have not played with it enough.
Sync has many meanings after the implementation of OneDrive. You can have your notes saved in OneDrive and have access to them in any device. But you have to save the file while in Onenote your note is shared and saved automatically.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

@ctitanic, how do you capture the screen and manipulated the image like that? With Samsung Note, it is a built-in stuff.
I use snipping tool. To capture the metro apps I use the pen double click to OneNote full version and once opened in OneNote desktop I use Snipping tool to capture what I need and save it as JPG. Once you are familiar with the process you can do it in few seconds.

double07

I use snipping tool. To capture the metro apps I use the pen double click to OneNote full version and once opened in OneNote desktop I use Snipping tool to capture what I need and save it as JPG. Once you are familiar with the process you can do it in few seconds.

Ah, snipping tool... got it. Thanks :p