Windows plus 'X' key

Discussion in 'Surface Pro 6' started by Carolv, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Carolv

Carolv Member

My Device:
    SPro
    My Surface Pro 6 will not always bring up the quick display when hitting those keys. If I have a window open, or tap on an empty spot on the desk top it works. However if I open a window by selecting one of the quick links and then hit the 'x' to close out the window, hitting the Windows key plus 'X' does nothing unless I first tap on an empty spot on the desk top.

I have tried to delete the drivers (but did not check the box to delete the software also) but that did not help.

Any ideas?

2. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Pressing the "X" or "x" key does not close a window. Alt-F4 does, however. If you are reading the left-side of the "close out" window, the x symbol is merely an icon, not a key hint. So the windows is not actually closed, and because of this, the Windows key+X will have no effect while that "close out" window is displayed.

2019-08-13.png

3. Carolv

Carolv Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Hi sharp user.
    I think I may not have explained myself well enough. When I hit the Windows Logo key plus the letter 'X' it does not always open the Quick Access Window showing the Device Manager, Command Prompt, etc. I have to move my mouse around and tap on the desktop, then hit the Windows Logo plus the letter 'X' and it will open the Quick Access. I can continue to hit Windows Logo plus letter 'X' and it will open the Quick Access.

However if I open a window and then close out that window (say by hitting the 'x' in the upper right hand corner, hitting the Windows Logo key plus the letter 'X' does nothing until I tap on an empty space on the desktop.

4. sharpuser

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Okay. This is because Windows+x only applies to Windows, not to individual programs and processes. In other words, it is a system shortcut, not an application shortcut.

Thanks for clarifying. This is normal behavior for Windows 10.

5. Carolv

Carolv Member

My Device:
    SPro
    So you're saying that it is normal for hitting the Windows + X to not work all the time to open the Quick Access menu?? It seems like other computers I have or tested it works every time to open the Quick Access menu.

6. sharpuser

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Windows+x should work every time.

Windows+X (which requires Shift) would not. Let's try to get you fixed up.

What version and build of Windows 10 do you have? Settings, System, About …