What's new

Windows RT does not work with Galaxy S5

finzean100

I have had my Surface 2 for around 3 Weeks and I have in this time aged 3 Years!! I received this from Marite at Live Chat
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...evance&Compatibility=Unknown&LastRequested=14

It takes you to a page which confirms that Windows RT will not work with the Galaxy S5!! Does any kind soul have a fix for getting photos from my Phone to the Computer!! Had I known the above of course I would not have bought Surface!! The People at Live Chat are really bright and helpful As I explained to them however I should not have to be talking to them every 5 minutes. I had a Toshiba Laptop for 10 Years and did not have to talk to Toshiba Once!! Am I the only one who feels that Microsoft launch these half finished products and then use the poor Suckers who bought them as Guinea Pigs!!!

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

RT has a lot of pluses but it isn't Windows like what you had on your laptop. No Guinea Pigs if you understood what you were purchasing. It does a great job if you understand its limitations.

Paul Roberts

I have had my Surface 2 for around 3 Weeks and I have in this time aged 3 Years!! I received this from Marite at Live Chat
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductViewerWithDefaultFilters?TempOsid=Windows 8.1&Locale=en-us&Architecture=X64&TextSearch=samsung+galaxy+s5&Type=Both&CurrentPage=0&TotalPages=1&ShowCriteria=0&SortCriteria=Relevance&Compatibility=Unknown&LastRequested=14

It takes you to a page which confirms that Windows RT will not work with the Galaxy S5!! Does any kind soul have a fix for getting photos from my Phone to the Computer!! Had I known the above of course I would not have bought Surface!! The People at Live Chat are really bright and helpful As I explained to them however I should not have to be talking to them every 5 minutes. I had a Toshiba Laptop for 10 Years and did not have to talk to Toshiba Once!! Am I the only one who feels that Microsoft launch these half finished products and then use the poor Suckers who bought them as Guinea Pigs!!!

The easiest way i found to do this was to upload images from the phone to Google Drive and then access Google Drive in the browser on the surface. You'll then be able to View / Download them from there. There are also apps that allow you to access your Google Drive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can sync your S5 with OneDrive. OR
With PowerDVD you can sync via the cloud or USB cable.

OP
F

finzean100

Hi thanks for replies USB Cable does NOT WORK that is how I tried to do it and received CATASTROPHIC LOCKUP Ox8000FFFF for my troubles.

OP
F

finzean100

Welcome to the forum

RT has a lot of pluses but it isn't Windows like what you had on your laptop. No Guinea Pigs if you understood what you were purchasing. It does a great job if you understand its limitations.

Well I have HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH IT AND IF I DID NOT LIVE IN Thailand WHERE RETAILERS DO NOT REFUND UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS I WOULD BE RIGHT BACK AT THE STORE ASKING FOR A REFUND

OP
F

finzean100

The easiest way i found to do this was to upload images from the phone to Google Drive and then access Google Drive in the browser on the surface. You'll then be able to View / Download them from there. There are also apps that allow you to access your Google Drive.
Tanks Paul that sounds like a Plan very much appreciated!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Wifi File Transfer" app on android.
Connect with browser from Surface to the address shown in the App.
Just transferred files from my Galaxy Note 10.1
There might be better apps but this pretty straight forward file transfer over your local WiFi without the cloudiness.

Last edited:

leeshor

Personally I feel AirDroid has made great advances in the last couple releases and it works well with phones and/or tablets. You can even control your Android device from a computer now. That last part does require installing a client that probably won't work with RT but the rest will.