What's new

Windows RT is Not Yet Fully Optimized for Tegra 3 Quad-Core Chips

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
nvidia-surface-rt-not-optimized.jpg

If you have spent any time with a Microsoft Surface tablet, you probably noticed that its UI isn't quite as snappy as you are used to with Android, iOS or even other Windows products. It doesn't feel slow per se, it just has a slightly sluggish quality, especially when multi-tasking. Apparently, there is a reason for this. NVIDIA made it known that the problem is not the hardware on the device. The problem is that Windows 8 RT is not yet fully optimized for the Tegra 3 4+1 Core setup. Here's a quote with a few more details,

In particular, it is stated on NVIDIA's web page that Windows RT still does not know how to distribute the workload efficiently between the SoC's four performance cores and the fifth, battery-saving core.

Besides, while the Tegra 3 can be clocked at up to 1.7GHz on Android devices, the maximum clock frequency that can be reached with Windows RT is 1.4GHz. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why we noticed a few performance issues while doing our Microsoft Surface RT review. Perhaps that's also why HP found the tablet a bit slow and kludgey.

Still, we are pretty confident that Microsoft will sort this out soon. As it is said on NVIDIA's page, full Windows RT support for all of Tegra 3's advanced features is still under development, meaning that the issue will most likely be addressed in a future software update.

It's good to know that things should improve greatly with a future update, but it's too bad MS couldn't have worked this out ahead of time. Overall, the user experience on the Surface is great, and this is really not that big of a deal.

Source: PhoneArena

Last edited:

Sin

I haven't had to many issues, but always nice to know that thing will get even better in the future.

R0bR

I noticed a difference in performance with the first Surface update especially when app switching, there was less stuttering. The experience will just get better as more updates come, but i'm not having any noticeable issues.

FFX

Beginning to wonder if they will ever optimize Tegra 3 Quad-Core Chips, its been a long time now. I would love having the Surface RT, with full Tegra 3 support. But maybe they have dropped Tegra 3 support, to work on Tegra 4 support instead as they most likely will release a New Surface later this year.

kristalsoldier

Maybe, aside from the critical security updates related to IE10 scheduled for April 09, there will be a firmware update or two. But of one thing I am sure, by the time Blue comes around, the Surface RT would be optimized - its an imperative for both the Surface and for the WinRT platform.

FFX

Maybe, aside from the critical security updates related to IE10 scheduled for April 09, there will be a firmware update or two. But of one thing I am sure, by the time Blue comes around, the Surface RT would be optimized - its an imperative for both the Surface and for the WinRT platform.

Yes, I get really excited before every patch Tuesday :D Hopefully we will get some awesome updates!