Windows RT Refresh - Diaster! please help

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by mdfire, Jan 18, 2013.

1. mdfire

mdfire Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Ive been using my surface since launch with no problems. I was getting a few hang ups so I tried to do a refresh tonight. I dont know what has gone wrong but it is barely functioning now. Before the refresh I had 7GB free, now it is saying I have only 162MB. It keeps freezing requiring a reboot and at one point I lost the start screen.

Its saying I need 21 updates (including firmware) but when I try to download nothing happens.

Should I try to do the refresh again? Dont really want to do a reinstall

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Look under you C: Drive and see if there is a Windows.old folder, if so delete it and then apply the updates and it should work. If not do a complete restore.

3. R0bR

R0bR Member

I think something is wrong with the refresh, I was having some minor issues with my Surface so I did a refresh and it was a fail. I don't think I had that much a variance in my remaining storage but all the Apps were stuck on "Installing...", my Start Screen would consistently get unresponsive and multiple reboots did nothing to help. I ended up just doing a factory reset which was not that painful since I don't keep any files local to the Surface. The reset was pretty quick, since I sync everything to my online account all my settings pretty much came back shortly after logging in. Then I just went to the store swiped down from the top, selected "Your Apps" and chose my Surface from the drop down (I have multiple Windows 8 systems tied to my account) then selected all the apps I wanted back. Of course had to organize all my Apps on my Start Screen, which I think took the longest amount of time, but everything was running well. Actually, I'd say that everything now is running even better than it did when I first got my Surface.

The complete restore I think is rather painless for the Surface RT since we don't have to deal with desktop Apps, except for Office but that's just a Windows Update. A whole different story for Windows 8, I would hope a refresh works for that version.

4. mdfire

mdfire Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Thants for that, sorted!

5. mdfire

mdfire Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Everything working fine this morning but I still only have 7.6GB of space left. I checked which apps where taking up space and there is a Youtube download app which says it has over 6GB. However, all videos are stored on an SD card:disappointed: Surely the app alone isn't that size?

6. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

Have you ran Disk Cleanup?

7. bosamar

bosamar Well-Known Member

My Device:
    RT
    If it was me I'd try uninstalling the app, then check the space, and reinstall the app, check space again....

1 person likes this.
  8. mdfire

mdfire Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Yip, that's sorted it. Went from 4GB to 11GB. Reinstalled the app and its still at 11GB. Weird

9. Omni

Omni Active Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I too had this on my surface when I did I refresh. I just left it for the evening and eventually it sorted itself out. I think it just tries to install all your apps at once and bogs the system down.