Windows Update Broken?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro' started by guymalloc, Oct 1, 2014.

1. guymalloc

guymalloc Member

Hello everyone, after months of bliss with a perfectly functioning SP1, for some reason Windows Update has failed to connect for the last 3 days. I've ran the troubleshooters, even the fixit tools on microsofts support pages, and today (wednesday), I did a system image restore back to September 21st's image, to no avail. Anyone have a clue what could be causing the problem? My internet is functioning perfectly, can update all my software, just not windows.

2. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

In had a similar experience on my Win7 system one day even reset Windows Update which clears the list of installed updates and removes the files to no avail. I went to work on it again the next day and it just worked without me doing anything more. I think it was a windows update issue meaning the service. probably an issue with one server in a farm and sometimes load balancers can keep connecting you to the same server.

3. guymalloc

guymalloc Member

I ran all the fix-it tools, troubleshooters, still same problem. However, tonight it spontaneously updated windows defender, and now it says 'no updates available' when I go to windows update, metro and control panel. Maybe it will resolve itself eventually......

4. guymalloc

guymalloc Member

Just to let everyone know, my windows update problem has been resolved. After no help from Microsoft's online info, I stumbled upon 3 batch files, in a windows 7 forum, that a user created to resolve a windows update problem. They worked beautifully on my SP1, fixed the problem in less than 2 minutes. I now get updates automatically again. Happy Day!!!!

mwsvette likes this.
  5. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad it worked for someone... I tried those before and it didn't help... at least not that I could tell... but it might have because a day later the problem went away. I did so many things and rebooted so many times I can't say for sure what worked and what didn't. well nothing worked then nothing fixed it :)