What's new

Windows Update: Download Limit

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wondering if there is any way of limiting the download speed for windows update.

Currently downloading preview 14295, and it it consuming every kb of of download speed. I am unable to access any website while it downloads, with the various browsers either timing out or telling me there is no internet connection. Rather frustrating to say the least.

Even the network icon on the taskbar has an exclamation mark and is telling me there is no connection, yet there clearly is.

Last edited:

leeshor

Have you tried setting it to a meterd connection? Not sure if that will work or not. I usually manually check for the updates and just wait for them to finish. You don't really want to interrupt that process if you can help it.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried setting it to a meterd connection? Not sure if that will work or not. I usually manually check for the updates and just wait for them to finish. You don't really want to interrupt that process if you can help it.

Metered connection treats it as a feather and stops it from updating.

It's taken so long to get Windows to find an updated preview buikd (2 or 3 weeks) that I didn't want to start messing around.

I'm just surprised that is capable of maxing out a connection to the point that even windows doesn't think I am connected to the internet.

Edwin009

Hello,

I am not sure if this can be achieved within Windows. However there is a 3rd party tool that can help you allocate specific bandwidth. You can search for netlimiter dot com and you can download the software.

bluegrass

I agree with leeshor, you don't want to be doing anything while a huge file like that is downloading. I would start the download when you go to bed and it will be done when you get up.