What's new

Windows Update keeps reverting its settings

vxm

Hey,

I'm posting here, because either Windows 8 forum is dead or I'm out of luck for getting answers :)
Upon every restart/relog or fresh boot my Windows Update keeps reverting to "never check for update" state:
Vt07uSh.png

I've run troubleshooter and downloaded windows update diagnostic, but to no avail- report says it's either fixed or there's no problem at all... I'm confused. I like having automatic updates on but I have to check for them manually every now and then. It's not critical, it's just that I want system to work as I want not as it fancies :)

Anyone experienced that issue or knows workaround/fix to this?

PS: I refreshed my system recently due to OneDrive failure and everything works like a charm since then except windows update

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can run the Troubleshooter without doing the Full Windows Update reset.
Reset Windows Update,
Reboot.

I have seen some different processes for this as well. Some entail renaming specific directories etc. seems like there's a lot of problems... with various fixes... not all that well documented.

OP
vxm

vxm

Yup, I've seen numerous issues like that without any clear answers. Guess I will have to try some of them- I was hoping I'll find person with similiar problem here and perhaps solution. Thanks GreyFox7

OP
vxm

vxm

The only error I found since refreshing Windows is from today:
kVL3tWR.png

I was downloading like 33 updates with hardware upgrade, didn't notice it tho, so either it was temporary problem or it was solved after restarting to finish installing packages

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, I've seen numerous issues like that without any clear answers. Guess I will have to try some of them- I was hoping I'll find person with similiar problem here and perhaps solution. Thanks GreyFox7
I had a problem with one computer for 3-4 months, every month ran troubleshooter, reset, reboot, do it again. tried this and that. Finally got it resolved but it was ugly and messy and I cant really say what fixed it in the end... maybe nothing, it might have just fixed itself.

Timing problems and such can frustrate you repeatedly then one day they just disappear.
Perhaps a RowHammer flipped some bits somewhere then something gets relocated in memory because some other module changed size and poof problem gone.

purist284

I have this very same problem. Every reboot, I get a notification from Windows Action Center asking me to review my Windows update settings. Every time I choose to update automatically (I've done this at least a couple of different ways) and still I keep getting prompted to set my Surface to update automatically. Anyone track down a solution for this yet?

malberttoo

Windows Updates issues are often difficult to pin down, and often frustrating. :mad:

The following fix has worked on 2 different PC's that I've worked on, plus my own SP3. It very well may not work for you, so YMMV...

Do Win+X and click on Search, and then type Services. Open the Services console. Locate Windows Update, and disable.

Now go to C:, Windows, and find the SoftwareDistribution folder. Rename it to SoftwareDistribution.Old.

Now go back and re-Enable the Windows Update service.

You have basically just nuked your whole Windows Update folder, and now when you launch Check for Update, it will have to rebuild it's catalog.

Like I said YMMV.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You do need to verify that no malware is present as that would be one thing malware would do. Try running MalwareBytes regardless of what antivirus you are using.

purist284

I'm quite certain that there's no malware... but I will double check. That's one convoluted solution. So... the benefit of owning a SP3 is... (crickets)... Wow. I should've done more research before investing in Microsoft.