What's new

Windows Update keeps reverting its settings

malberttoo

I'm quite certain that there's no malware... but I will double check. That's one convoluted solution. So... the benefit of owning a SP3 is... (crickets)... Wow. I should've done more research before investing in Microsoft.

Seriously!!? So every time you had a vehicle problem, you said "the benefit of owning a vehicle is..."???? Or the next time your shoelace breaks, your're going to lament about how you should have done more research on the thing??

It's a piece of tech. They break, they have quibbles, issues, unexplained behavior. Microsoft, Apple, HP, Toshiba, all of them.

I'm sorry your machine isn't making you happy, but with that attitude, you will not get far.

purist284

I've been at this for quite a while now. And, no, I've never had a piece of computing equipment have as many "quibbles, issues or unexplained behaviour". Ever. Nice way to get all defensive though.

It seems to me this is a potentially serious security flaw. And users shouldn't have to jump through hoops to resolve it. And yet... they do. So there you have it.

Last edited:

malberttoo

I've been at this for quite a while now. And, no, I've never had a piece of computing equipment have as many "quibbles, issues or unexplained behaviour". Ever. Nice way to get all defensive though.

Oh believe me there is no defensiveness here. It's more like face-palming.

purist284

It's interesting that you're willing to hurl insults like this at one of your own paying customers who's just trying to resolve a serious security flaw. I haven't had a chance yet to follow the convoluted, ridiculous instructions provided for "fixing" this problem just yet. I will shortly. I hope it fixes the problem. But that having been said (and I have to reiterate that I've never had a computer or tablet foul up on me to this degree), I'm extremely unimpressed by you, and I wonder if you work for Microsoft in an official capacity. If so I'd be very interested in speaking with your supervisor.

malberttoo

It's interesting that you're willing to hurl insults like this at one of your own paying customers who's just trying to resolve a serious security flaw. I haven't had a chance yet to follow the convoluted, ridiculous instructions provided for "fixing" this problem just yet. I will shortly. I hope it fixes the problem. But that having been said (and I have to reiterate that I've never had a computer or tablet foul up on me to this degree), I'm extremely unimpressed by you, and I wonder if you work for Microsoft in an official capacity. If so I'd be very interested in speaking with your supervisor.

It's not your fault, really. I just don't do well with an "entitled" mentality.

I know of only 2 people who frequent this forum that work for Microsoft in any capacity. This forum is not related to Microsoft in any way, their official forum is here- http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface.

It is unfortunate that you're having issues with your SP3. I hope they get resolved.

And now that I've hijacked this thread, I return everyone to the original topic, and bid you adieu. :D

leeshor

There is no room on this forum for character bashing, by anyone, and no Microsoft employees that I am aware of. I think it may be time for you to have a discussion with them though.

purist284

Ah, thank you for clarifying. Might I suggest that you rebrand your forum so that it does not put off such an official air, then? I'm happy to move along to greener pastures.

purist284

Just as a point of interest for OP, and anyone else that might experience this problem: I found a solution almost immediately on the official Microsoft community forum. Turns out Bitdefender doesn't like Surface, and Surface doesn't like Bitdefender. I switched antivirus, and now all is well as far as automatic updates are concerned. I'm not saying this will apply to everyone, but if you're using Bitdefender on your Surface just be aware it might interfere with Windows Update.

Nuspieds

Just as a point of interest for OP, and anyone else that might experience this problem: I found a solution almost immediately on the official Microsoft community forum. Turns out Bitdefender doesn't like Surface, and Surface doesn't like Bitdefender. I switched antivirus, and now all is well as far as automatic updates are concerned. I'm not saying this will apply to everyone, but if you're using Bitdefender on your Surface just be aware it might interfere with Windows Update.
Thanks for sharing!

I'm in the same situation and also running Bitdefender, so I'm glad to now know the root cause. Yes, it has been quite annoying to keep changing back the settings. :mad:

On the (hopefully) bright side, however, I'm hoping this problem goes away on July 29. :D