What's new

Windows7 on microSD aditionally to W10 on SSD

gwk

Hi guys, I really need your help!

I would like to get some kind of dual boot system based on my current W10 SSD install. The second OS shall be W7 and installed on micro SD. I already tried all kind of tools like RUFUS or WINtoUSB but I was not able to boot from microSD. The system starts directly with W10.
I also disabled secure boot and changed boot priority to USB but nothing helped. SD card is NTFS formated, no other partition.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt you will be able to get Windows 7 to boot on a Surface let alone off a MicroSD has it is marked as a removable device. Your best bet is enable Hyper-V and create a Windows 7 VM.

OP
G

gwk

I spend days checking possibilities and different options. Why is it possible to boot directly from SD with Linux systems but not on Windows 7?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I spend days checking possibilities and different options. Why is it possible to boot directly from SD with Linux systems but not on Windows 7?
Typically those Linux Systems use "Live Distros" that are compiled to run off removable media, Windows is not designed to run off removable media, even Windows 2 Go require special USB Drives that are marked as standard disks to work.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The UEFI on a Surface is a class 3 UEFI which means there is no legacy boot support. Win7 requires legacy boot therefore you will never boot Win7 directly on a surface even on the SSD. Virtual Machine is your only option.