What's new

Solved WinPE Boot Issues

Nuspieds

I'm booting in a WinPE 10 environment but, unfortunately, keyboard and touchscreen are not responsive.

If I detach and then re-attach the screen then the keyboard becomes functional; however, touchscreen (via touch or pen) still remains non-responsive.

If I take the WinPE USB disk and use it to boot my SP2, on the SP2, no issues: Keyboard and touchscreen work as if in full windows, including pen support.

Just as a test, I also tried WinPE 5 and the results were the same.

Has anyone tried this and has it working?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to inject the correct drivers into your PE image for the N-trig Touch and Pen Support IIRC...

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Ok, thanks.

I think I'm good on how to inject drivers, but do you know where I'd find those drivers in the first place?

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Can't you just use a standard USB keyboard and mouse in WinPE?
The drivers are here: Download Microsoft Surface Book from Official Microsoft Download Center
I stopped using wired mice long time ago; however, because of this same issue using another software sometime ago, I bought a cheap one, just for that purpose--but it is at home only. When traveling, a wired keyboard certainly is not an option.

The purpose of the WinPE boot environment is for restore (Macrium Reflect) and I need to be able to do so under the worst of circumstances: While travelling and I do not have immediate access to a wired mouse or keyboard. Therefore, it is important that the restore work natively with the device.

Thanks for the link. I downloaded but once unzipped, the drivers were not in a format that the Macrium Reflect WinPE builder recognizes and allows you to inject into the boot build.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

OK, thanks. It's the same link @netuser had provided.

I reported failure earlier, but that's because I was erroneously trying to use Reflect to inject the drivers.

After some additional research, I was able to use DISM to inject the drivers. It took some guessing to determine which drivers but the driver folder names made it easy to do so.

I'm now happy to report success: After booting, I have both keyboard and touchscreen functionality. Exactly what I wanted and had before on my SP2! :D

Thanks very much to you both!

iondream

OK, thanks. It's the same link @netuser had provided.

I reported failure earlier, but that's because I was erroneously trying to use Reflect to inject the drivers.

After some additional research, I was able to use DISM to inject the drivers. It took some guessing to determine which drivers but the driver folder names made it easy to do so.

I'm now happy to report success: After booting, I have both keyboard and touchscreen functionality. Exactly what I wanted and had before on my SP2! :D

Thanks very much to you both!

So Which driver was the right one?

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

So Which driver was the right one?
Not one, but a couple:
  • Display\SurfaceDisplay\SurfaceDisplay.inf
  • System\PreciseTouch\iaPreciseTouch.inf
  • System\SurfaceBaseIntegration\SurfaceBaseIntegration.inf
  • System\SurfaceTouchServicingML\SurfaceTouchServicingML.inf