Wireless adapter not working and no recovery environment

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by Aegeas, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Aegeas

Aegeas Active Member

So I just did the upgrade to the official Win 10 release. I have no wireless networks available, but the Marvell AC controller is in the Device Manager. I have tried uninstalling it multiple times. I also tried refreshing the system, but it says it can't find the recovery environment. I tried downloading the Surface Pro 3 drivers to do a manual install, but the .ppkg file requires a password. Any pointers?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. savaytse66

savaytse66 Member

I just came to post the same problem. My adapter is listed in device manager, but wifi doesn't even appear as an option anywhere. It was working in the tech preview. I did an upgrade to the factory 8.1 install.

3. jond291

jond291 New Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    Same problem, I'll keep digging but if you find anything let me know please :)

4. fred_com

fred_com New Member

I've had the same issue after updating - tried some guides found on internet (reset winsock, sfc /scannow, dsim), but nothing really helped, so I had to revert to 8.1.
    It seems to be some issue in network subsystem, because wired connection from Dock wasn't working also.

I have one suspect - Cisco VPN, maybe it somehow screwed up the network setup in W10, when it was transferring my apps and settings

5. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

did you download from Microsoft or elsewhere???
    Microsoft download https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

6. jond291

jond291 New Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    Upon further investigation, I think this problem is deeper than just the networking adapters, I had some VPN software installed, just on the off chance I thought i'd uninstall it to make sure it wasn't conflicting with anything, however to my surprise when I try to uninstall I get a message that says something along the lines of "Operating System corruption is preventing the installation task from completing".

I've tried a few different programs, nothing will uninstall.

I've ran chkdsk, sfc /scannow etc. which complain about corruption but cannot fix it.

I'm currently downloading a Windows 10 ISO from the Microsoft website and will do a clean install and hope for the best!

7. fred_com

fred_com New Member

Yes, I've had the same message, when trying to remove Cisco VPN under W10. Now that I'm reverted to 8.1, I want to uninstall almost all software, and will try upgrading again.

8. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

What antivirus are you running... bitdefender has known problems... others???

9. Maciek

Maciek New Member

What do you mean when you say "reverted back to 8"? Can you just go back or did you do a clean install?

10. savaytse66

savaytse66 Member

Interesting. I have no antivirus installed, but I do have a Cisco VPN client installed. I do not generally use it, and I certainly haven't used it recently. I'm not sure why that application being installed would affect anything, but I'll try to remove it when I get a chance and see what happens.

EDIT: I cannot uninstall the Cisco VPN client either under Windows 10.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  11. fred_com

fred_com New Member

Yes, there is an option in new "Settings" app, in "Backup, Recover, etc" section. You can revert to W8.1, surprisingly, it took about 2-3 minutes on my SP3 Pro. There is a screenshot for W10 TP, but this option is present on W10 release also.

12. fred_com

fred_com New Member

I have no antivirus. (Well, except for built-in Defender)