What's new

with a constantly blaring fan and worse touch controls, is windows 10 a loser for the SP3?

macmee

My fan relentlessly runs. I have no windows open, and no processes in task manager using any notable amount of resources. I'm convinced that whatever is causing my fan to spin is a bug within Windows itself.

As for the touch controls, I often get into a state where every time I tap, it's detected as a right mouse click, and I have to reboot the machine to fix things.

Windows 10 took my perfectly functioning $2000 tablet and turned it into a nicer looking but much less functional lemon of a computer. This is very disheartening.

VickiFL

I think it has to do with Cortana. I disabled Cortana, and my fan issues went away, along with improving my battery life. I also disabled location services, and that helped too.

Compusmurf

The right click issue is known and MS is working on it. The fan issue. You have to narrow down some. There's an ACPI bug that occurs after wakeup from sleep that pushes the IRQ rate to 20% give or take. Only fix known right now is reboot. MS is aware of the issue, unknown if a valid fix is coming soon.

That being said and being aware of both issues, I do NOT have the fan issues, in fact, I think mine is OFF or running so low I can't hear it at this moment. (But very aware of the issues and work to avoid them)

If I had come accross this thread yesterday I would have said confidently YES SP3 + retail W10 is a loser, after exchanging my device twice my opinion has changed.

As a long time W10 insider I can say that the retail release was a disaster on my machine (SP3 i7). When the most recent update became available last week it overheated my machine, something I have not experienced since I had my first SP3 i7 replaced.

The replacement device I received this past Monday was a TOTAL lemon after upgrading it to W10. The windows key and bezel button would bring up a start menu that only showed the upper half (powershell issue) so I could not shutdown or restart my device. Even when I held down the power button and the "swipe down to shut down" option came up the device would not shut down after swiping.

After 4 hours on a chat with a MS support agent that took remote control of my device the only thing he recommeded was performing a factory reset of my less than 1 day old device. The first attempt to reset failed after 2 hours, the second attempt was successful until the device overheated. After allowing the device to cool I attempted to restart the device which held the device on the "diagnosing pc" screen for the next 18 hours. I decided to take the device to my local MS store which had no replacement devices to issue but they were understanding and gave me a BRAND NEW device with W10 preinstalled.

Everything has been peachy for the last 5 hours :)

Sorry for the rant but I thought I would share my recent experience with W10. It has been quite a roller coaster experience but at least it ended well.

Last edited:
OP
macmee

macmee

Today my surface started randomly turning itself on. I turn off the screen and 10 minutes later it comes back on......

If I had come accross this thread yesterday I would have said confidently YES SP3 + retail W10 is a loser, after exchanging my device twice my opinion has changed.

As a long time W10 insider I can say that the retail release was a disaster on my machine (SP3 i7). When the most recent update became available last week it overheated my machine, something I have not experienced since I had my first SP3 i7 replaced.

The replacement device I received this past Monday was a TOTAL lemon after upgrading it to W10. The windows key and bezel button would bring up a start menu that only showed the upper half (powershell issue) so I could not shutdown or restart my device. Even when I held down the power button and the "swipe down to shut down" option came up the device would not shut down after swiping.

After 4 hours on a chat with a MS support agent that took remote control of my device the only thing he recommeded was performing a factory reset of my less than 1 day old device. The first attempt to reset failed after 2 hours, the second attempt was successful until the device overheated. After allowing the device to cool I attempted to restart the device which held the device on the "diagnosing pc" screen for the next 18 hours. I decided to take the device to my local MS store which had no replacement devices to issue but they were understanding and gave me a BRAND NEW device with W10 preinstalled.

Everything has been peachy for the last 5 hours :)

Sorry for the rant but I thought I would share my recent experience with W10. It has been quite a roller coaster experience but at least it ended well.

that's pretty good of their support team!

Telstar1948

I doubt we'll ever know, but I can't help but wonder what percentage of SP3's have been returned/repaired out of the total number of new sales? On a forum like this we hear a lot of problems, but even then you wonder what % of total new sales is acceptable or unacceptable with a high tech device such as the SP3?

OP
macmee

macmee

I doubt we'll ever know, but I can't help but wonder what percentage of SP3's have been returned/repaired out of the total number of new sales? On a forum like this we hear a lot of problems, but even then you wonder what % of total new sales is acceptable or unacceptable with a high tech device such as the SP3?

I can't believe you just mentioned that. My SP3 has worked perfectly for the past year, got sketchy after W10. I leave the device at 100% battery last night, wake up and it's off, HOT and wont turn on. I plug it in and it still wont turn on. I' pretty sure Windows 10 did some sketchy crap throughout the night which overheated and broke the damn thing.

The fact that the system is doing ANYTHING extensive when the unit is in an off or standby state is simply amazing to me. This should not be able to happen.

kristalsoldier

I've heard removing the sd card helps...

Yes, it does! Speaking from personal experience, that is!

Removing the mSD card results in the fans, which were constantly on when the card was in, turning down and shutting off - the heat levels come down - the device is cool to touch despite keeping the same workload as before (Word, Edge (2 tabs), Telegram and all other stock apps (after an in-place upgrade from 8.1 to W10); and, the battery lasts approximately like what it used to (for me) under 8.1 - all other settings remaining the same before this problem started.

YMMV.

Edit: One other thing. Using Edge also gets the fans to kick in - particularly when sit are heavy with moving adverts. Close Edge and not visiting such site again returns the SP3 to its cool and silent self. In other words, Edge needs optimization and ad-blockers.

Last edited: