What's new

Worth the risk?

Daniel Williams

Hi all,

Now this is something I will eventually have to decide for myself but thought I'd gauge other peoples opinion....

I will be in the states (from the UK) at the end of October for 2 weeks and have being eying the i5/256. Microsoft sales chat tells me the warranty is not international and that warranty is only valid in the country of purchase...including the extended Microsoft complete warranty.

The question is would others risk it or are others in a similar position?

I bought a DELL laptop last year when I was over there and didn't really think much of it (works perfectly but ironically recently sold it to help fund a SP3) but obviously a few people have had issues with the SP3 and knowing my luck I would probably be one of them.

Thanks for any comments.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will not pay more for an additional warranty, but i would never pay less not to have one at all.

How much would you save getting it in the US. How would that saving compare to the price of shipping the whole thing back to america for a warranty issue?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,

Now this is something I will eventually have to decide for myself but thought I'd gauge other peoples opinion....

I will be in the states (from the UK) at the end of October for 2 weeks and have being eying the i5/256. Microsoft sales chat tells me the warranty is not international and that warranty is only valid in the country of purchase...including the extended Microsoft complete warranty.

The question is would others risk it or are others in a similar position?

I bought a DELL laptop last year when I was over there and didn't really think much of it (works perfectly but ironically recently sold it to help fund a SP3) but obviously a few people have had issues with the SP3 and knowing my luck I would probably be one of them.

Thanks for any comments.
So would this be a cost differential if purchased in the US. They will be available in UK soon right?
Assuming a cost savings to purchase in the US then does it at least make up the shipping for US warranty service besides the potential extra time and possibly having a trusted US friend as surrogate who will return your unit. :)

OP
D

Daniel Williams

Those are good points, the savings would probably amount to around £250 give or take. Not much in the grand scheme of things I guess. The SP3 is released in the UK at the end of August.

I got the extended warranty as it covers 2 accidental claims, $150 protection seems cheap in comparison when the unit was $1,549 (i7 256gb). Normally I don't purchase extended warranties on my devices but this warranty adds an extra year (so 2 years) and the accidental claim seemed worth it to me; give me some piece of mind at least.

bluegrass

ditto on extended warranty. I think it's a no brainer on a $2,000 product to purchase the accidental coverage, in case when I'm floating down an Ozark stream in my canoe and accidentally drop my SP3 in the river while shooting some video of me fly fishing.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
ditto on extended warranty. I think it's a no brainer on a $2,000 product to purchase the accidental coverage, in case when I'm floating down an Ozark stream in my canoe and accidentally drop my SP3 in the river while shooting some video of me fly fishing.
Sorry bluegrass we have examined your device and have determined it has been subjected to a violent piranha attack therefore we cannot cover your loss :)

kristalsoldier

Interesting! I bought the SP3 when I was in Canada in June-July. Now I find that I can't buy the Extended Warranty here in the UK, which is stupid of MS. I have received conflicting info from the store (it was a MS Store not Staples etc.) where I bought it (they said that I could buy the warranty but only when the product is released in the UK and that if the unit were to be replaced, then I would get a localized replacement) and from a chat I had earlier today with MS-UK (the CSR said that I could not buy an extended warranty for a SP3 bought anywhere outside the UK).

Liam2349

Given that I have had a couple of issues with Pro 2, I think it's safer to buy it with a valid warranty.

kristalsoldier

One related question: This discussion has been about the extended warranty. What about the 1-yr warranty that comes with the device? Is that upheld anywhere in the world where the SP3 is sold by MS?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
One related question: This discussion has been about the extended warranty. What about the 1-yr warranty that comes with the device? Is that upheld anywhere in the world where the SP3 is sold by MS?
As I stated in my post, the warranty is only valid in country of purchase, so if you buy it in the us and then go back to england, if it needs fixing, you have to ship it back to the US. Although it wouldn't surprise me if once it is released in all markets, the warranty goes global. Right now they probably don't want people from the UK saving hundreds of pounds by buying it abroad.