What's new

Would you convert to an iPad Pro and replace your SP3?

Would you convert to an iPad Pro in place of your SP3?

• Yes

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • No

Votes: 55 96.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zhenya

Because as I've said many times here before, it's a great note taking device. It turns out that it allows me to pair it with the 60% size keyboard of my choice instead of being stuck with whatever keyboard a laptop includes. It provides a level of quality and flexibility that no other device currently does, and I need a Windows computer for work anyhow.

This is a thread specifically asking what it would take for you to switch to an iPad pro. I know mine is a minority opinion around here, but frankly, it's one that seems to be a little more centered as I spend my time nearly equally with both Apple and Microsoft devices. There is no doubt that Apple has been a bit behind the development curve the last couple of years in some aspects of their hardware. And after years of being frustrated with Microsoft, I am excited by what they are doing again. I sway back and forth between whatever hardware and software are currently doing the most cutting edge things.

I'm certainly not here to tell everyone how perfect everything is. There are still so many ways that it should be better. I doubt Microsoft thinks it's perfect either. Many of the tablet centric issues are attempting to be addressed in Win 10, but Microsoft is being seriously hampered by the lack of willingness on the part of developers. They know this. A lot of you are unwilling to admit there are things that operating systems like iOS and Android do a lot better than Windows. You shouldn't be so convinced. Microsoft isn't.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no argument between moving to an tablet from a laptop. They are different devices.

Lets 'ut it a differnt way. Who here would sell their surface for a note 12 or whatever it is called? Not many. Noone disagrees that as a tablet, it is not as good as the likes of an ipad, a device that is designed to be nothing but a tblaet from os to hardware. That does not make the surface a mediocre tablet. Thats iike playing the spec game. How many reviews have claimed 1080p is mediocre on a phone because X has more. Doesnt actually make it mediocre.

People buy the surface because it can do both. The ipad isnt even mediocre at laptop tasks, it flat out cannot do them.

phositadc

I'll go against the grain here. My primary usage is pdf annotation. If the ipad pro could do that as well as or better than the SP3, then I would definitely buy one and at least give it a try. If it had other benefits like increased battery life, then I'd probably even keep it.

kundas1

hey zhenya I use MS miracast dongle all the time while streaming my GF's show WHILE I surf the net or use an app with no hiccups at all, so I don't know what your talking about... BTW my battery lasts over 6-7 hours doing this after my GF has watched her 3 hour show and then I continue with my stuff, as for the apps you have in question, well that's YOUR personal preference! also a lot of people here have this "APP" MENTALITY when there is a native X86/X64 program available or IE native and keep looking to use a "app" inferior alternative... sorry but all of you complaining that the SP3 is an inferior tablet is nonsense because there is a "couple" of APPS missing. your missing the big picture here is that it handles PC/gaming/tablet/media device and IOS is just an IOS that only is a media device as it can't surf the web that great because of how limited the web app is and so many fart apps and silly apps that you can't really take it seriously! sorry but the IOS is inferior to SP3..

bmack

I think to compare an iPad Pro to an SP3 doesn't make sense. A tablet running a mobile OS is mainly for media consumption and web browsing. A hybrid like the SP3 is meant to work as a media consumption device as well as one for real productivity. So someone who feels they do not require the form factor of the SP3 for productivity would consider owning a ultrabook and iPad Pro. I tell people all the time that the SP3 isn't the best tablet experience or the best laptop experience. But it is a happy medium. I'm a photographer so I use my SP3 to run Photoshop CC and LR5. I like not having to travel with two different devices or having to pull each one out for different situations.

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

I think to compare an iPad Pro to an SP3 doesn't make sense. A tablet running a mobile OS is mainly for media consumption and web browsing. A hybrid like the SP3 is meant to work as a media consumption device as well as one for real productivity. So someone who feels they do not require the form factor of the SP3 for productivity would consider owning a ultrabook and iPad Pro. I tell people all the time that the SP3 isn't the best tablet experience or the best laptop experience. But it is a happy medium. I'm a photographer so I use my SP3 to run Photoshop CC and LR5. I like not having to travel with two different devices or having to pull each one out for different situations.

Well the rumours of the iPad Pro are that it will run a hybrid of OSX and iOS, which is where the Pro name comes from. Of course I am not comparing a regular iPad to the SP3 as they are completely different. But the iPad Pro is supposed to come with detachable keyboard etc to rival the SP3. We don't know if the rumours are true, but the iPad Pro is rumoured to be more than a tablet.

My main issue with SP3 is apps - the main apps I use are Youtube, Google Maps, Gmail app (or any other decent mail app), banking apps, BBC News, Spotify etc. There are third party alternatives but they don't work as well as the first party apps and that is where the issue lies for me.

More people who buy the SP3 and other Windows phones/tablets will mean more apps, but likelihood isn't great against Apple and Android.

I think Asus were planning a combined Windows/Android laptop/tablet but were not allowed to do so - if this was possible, it would also solve a lot of issues.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well they will have to make it heavier... bigger screen = heavier. High resolution bigger screen will use more battery, so it will be heavier again. Now, will they opt for thinner lighter with shorter battery or more battery life? That is the question. Will they opt for a quad core or eight core CPU? Higher performance or longer battery life? Challenge the Intel i5 or be content to compete with Atoms? High speed SSD or stodgy Flash? 4gb ddr4 Ram or 2/3gb? There really is no comparison... yet.

kundas1

btw I think your all missing the point... the OP was asking if the ipad came with OSX and not IOS would you switch?...

zhenya

hey zhenya I use MS miracast dongle all the time while streaming my GF's show WHILE I surf the net or use an app with no hiccups at all, so I don't know what your talking about... BTW my battery lasts over 6-7 hours doing this after my GF has watched her 3 hour show and then I continue with my stuff, as for the apps you have in question, well that's YOUR personal preference! also a lot of people here have this "APP" MENTALITY when there is a native X86/X64 program available or IE native and keep looking to use a "app" inferior alternative... sorry but all of you complaining that the SP3 is an inferior tablet is nonsense because there is a "couple" of APPS missing. your missing the big picture here is that it handles PC/gaming/tablet/media device and IOS is just an IOS that only is a media device as it can't surf the web that great because of how limited the web app is and so many fart apps and silly apps that you can't really take it seriously! sorry but the IOS is inferior to SP3..

If you read my post objectively you'll see I never complained about the performance of Miracast. It's the overall implementation that's clunky. Try to use it to play a video on your tv while you use the Surface as a tablet - no mouse or keyboard attached. The video content plays fine, but you want to jump to a different point in the movie, change what you are watching, pause, whatever. How do you do that? All of your controls are now on a remote, non-touch screen. (unless of course you use, guess what, an app). Even with a mouse connected, it's still clunky as you have to hit targets that may be a distance away and very small. Contrast with how this is done on iOS where the video content is generally handed off entirely to the playing device (meaning there is virtually no battery hit at all to the host). Controls for play/pause/skip/scrub plus all the navigation of the menu items remains on the screen in your hand. (Heck, you can even use the included remote control to play/pause/ff/rew/skip/etc.)

Again, I clearly stated in my post that those were things that I have run up against when trying to use the Surface as an iPad replacement. A certain segment of owners here refuse to admit those are valid use cases. I can assure you, after using an iPad for 5 years, running up against some of them makes Windows feel anything but cutting edge. It's to your own detriment that you choose to lash out as opposed to recognizing this fact. Apps are not toys. They are the new paradigm upon which most computing is being done because computers are no longer just tools which people use to do work. If you read my post more closely, with some objectivity, you'll see there are a number of examples of things that x86 programs and web apps just can't do as compared to dedicated apps - whether in iOS or Windows.

You can choose to see iOS as 'inferior' to sp3. The reality is they are built to accomplish fundamentally different goals and it is much more pleasant to view them both as successes for that.