What's new

Wow its getting hot - heat issues to a science

Dan Klinger

Hi everyone. Happy Thanksgiving!
I love my Surface i5 256.....but it is running hotter and hotter lately. I wish there was a clear definitive guide on how to tackle this one.

I believe all firmware is up to date...as well as Win10 latest upgrade. Any advice on a thread that breaks down how to improve this story to a science?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It has a Thermal Firmware that kicks to prevent damage, the device starts throttling if the temperature hits 90 degrees centigrade, and will continue throttle until it reaches 80. Typical normal temp is between 65-75 degrees centigrade.

BeachBum

Hi everyone. Happy Thanksgiving!
I love my Surface i5 256.....but it is running hotter and hotter lately. I wish there was a clear definitive guide on how to tackle this one.

I believe all firmware is up to date...as well as Win10 latest upgrade. Any advice on a thread that breaks down how to improve this story to a science?

I have an SP3 with 8GB RAM and the 512GB SSD. After upgrading the unit to Win10, I noticed that the unit was running very hot especially in the upper right and lower right corners of the unit. The internal fans were running constantly while in use. To make a long story short, when upgrading to Win10, I selected the Edge browser as the default browser and was using it exclusively. By chance, I had to switch to Internet Explorer 11. Shortly after switching back to IE 11, the heat problem went away. Switching back to Edge, the heat problem returned immediately. I no longer use Edge and the unit is no longer having the heat issue. A friend of mine has the original Surface and he had the same problem. Switching back to IE 11 resolved his heat issue too. Try switching back to IE 11 and see what happens.

Been running IE 11 since its iteration. No issues with heat at all. You can't even hear the fans even if you put your ears directly to the right side of the SP3

Goodfella4lfe

Hey guys I just purchased A SP3 128 ssd 4gb mem. I have been hearing alot about thermal issues with the sp3 and watching videos on youtube in hd was also causeing it to have these issues on top of lagging issues. I have heard alot of it was because people where using google chrome. I guess what my question is if i am using Firefox or as you guys just said IE11 are these problems noticeably alot better or fixed? All i am going to be doing basically is browsing, spotify, youtube and basic office tools.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Yes, Firefox or IE should put less stress on the system and the battery. Don't look for problems before you know you have them. ;)

Goodfella4lfe

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and for answering my question. All in all i heard that the sp3 is still a fantastic device even after a year. I woulda went for the sp4 but it was a bit outta my price range for what i wanted on it. I cant wait to start using it should be arriving tomorrow. Also one more thing. Does the app store in windows 10 have better apps than the one in windows 8.1. Cause im not going to lie i updated from windows xp on my current laptop ( for reasons not to get laughed at i will not list my current laptop hahaha) to windows 8.1 and the apps were subpar at best with alot of unnecessary apps.

aras

Yes, it is the stupid Edge. Ever since I switched to Win 10, my SP3 has been running much warmer. Turns out it is the edge, noticed after started using IE again. I guess it will get better by time but so far I'm very disappointed with the Edge.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a shame as Edge was my go-to browser on win 8! Firefox is not bad though and has helped my SP3 with the fan issues, I hear the fan much much less often now and the battery life is slowly crawling back to it's previous average of about 5hr 30 - 6 hours. I was down to 3hrs 30 with normal use before which was really bad!! I expect to get less if I'm running processor intensive stuff but not in normal use.

vxm

Same here, I only use Edge on workstation now- SP3 was always hot with Edge- fans rarely kicked in while watching tv series/movies while one tab in Edge made device go crazy