What's new

Xbox video help

K4ot1K

I was finally able to buy videos from xbox video. I bought 2 episodes of The Walking Dead, the purchase went fine and I downloaded them to my Surface so I could watch one at lunch and stream the other to my xbox that evening. However, when I try to the video it says "Sorry, Xbox stores are not available in your location, please check back later." Once I download the show, I shouldn't need an internet connection to watch it, otherwise this kills the whole point of portable media. Does anyone know whats up with this?

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Ok, i'm guessing there's just a word missing in your sentence - something like "when I try to play the video offline".
With Music-Pass and downloaded (not purchased) music you have to be online, so the rights-management can't check if your license is still valid for your downloaded music. I assume something similar is happening with the video, but i agree in the complete awkwardness if you bought the episode. Maybe the Xbox-webpage can clear things up (if you really bought it or rented the rights as with Kindle-books).

Sin

You don't have to be online to play music downloaded with the Zune/Music Pass. At least not more than once a month I believe. This has been the way it has work since the original Zune, since that wasn't always connected. As long as the original Zune was able to check in during the last month it was goo to go. I'm assuming that it hasn't changed. I used my Zune Pass with my Windows Phone and listen to music anytime I fly and have never had any issue with the songs not playing. I would expect the DRM on rented videos to be similar and less trouble on purchased videos, but I haven't bought or rented any videos yet to know for sure.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
While this is true with Zune (using it on my WP 7.5 too), i've had to be online to play downloaded music with the xbox music-app on my surface until last December (last time i tried on Christmas), despite being online 2h before. Only solution in a wifi-free zone was to hook up my mobile as hotspot via 3G (GPRS wasn't enough for exchanging some bits about ownership).

R0bR

You don't have to be online to play music downloaded with the Zune/Music Pass. At least not more than once a month I believe. This has been the way it has work since the original Zune, since that wasn't always connected. As long as the original Zune was able to check in during the last month it was goo to go. I'm assuming that it hasn't changed. I used my Zune Pass with my Windows Phone and listen to music anytime I fly and have never had any issue with the songs not playing. I would expect the DRM on rented videos to be similar and less trouble on purchased videos, but I haven't bought or rented any videos yet to know for sure.

Sorry, but pretty much nothing about Zune applies to Xbox Music unfortunately.

Sin

While this is true with Zune (using it on my WP 7.5 too), i've had to be online to play downloaded music with the xbox music-app on my surface until last December (last time i tried on Christmas), despite being online 2h before. Only solution in a wifi-free zone was to hook up my mobile as hotspot via 3G (GPRS wasn't enough for exchanging some bits about ownership).
I tried this morning by putting my Surface in Airplane mode and got mixed results. Some of the music I downloaded played fine and others gave me an error. This is odd and concerning. If the Xbox music requires a network connection to play, that kills it. A constant connection is just not always possible and seems unreasonable just to listen to music.

Sorry, but pretty much nothing about Zune applies to Xbox Music unfortunately.
I agree and so far what I see concerns me. Doesn't make me want to "upgrade" to Windows Phone 8.