XTU crashes my SP3 every time?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by hololight, Mar 17, 2015.

1. hololight

hololight New Member

I am trying to tweak some things on my SP3 with Intel extreme tuning utility, but any time I make a change, no matter how small, it will fail to come back from sleep and just reboot. Next time I start XTU it will warn me about the watchdog caught a crash and set everything to default. At first I thought I was trying too large of undervolts, but I have discovered any change will cause this. I have tried undervolts of only a couple mV... Shut off turbo boost, lowered the multiplier only 1 or 2x... Anything.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the issue could be? I know XTU is very much dependent on your individual proc., but it would seem this is not that kind of issue...

2. Cothek

Cothek Active Member

Hibernating your SP3 with an undervolt will cause it to crash i think because hibernation has it's own undervolt built in. Put the two together = crash.

3. hololight

hololight New Member

I don't believe it's that since it can be sleeping for just 5 or 10 minutes while I have hibernate set for an hour... But I'll try turning it off anyway and see if it makes a difference... If not I'll try turning off connected standby...

4. hololight

hololight New Member

Yeah, turning hibernation off made no difference.. Still reboots if it goes to sleep.

I still need to try disabling connected standby instead to see if that is the issue, but I am not very hopeful...

5. Cothek

Cothek Active Member

I meant to say sleep not hibernate. Connected or not, I think sleep puts the cup in a low power state.

6. hololight

hololight New Member

Hrmm, well shutting off sleep and only letting it hibernate does seem to work, but this is obviously a less than ideal solution... Since people do mess with the SP3, any idea how they are doing it?

7. Cothek

Cothek Active Member

Not sure, this is why I haven't. Maybe start a new thread with that question as the title.

8. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

My recommendation for using this would be to save the profile and then load/enable it when needed and unload/disable it when finished.

9. Haldi

Haldi Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    and HOW exactly do you load/unload a profile before the tablet enters sleep state ? :)
    Is there any windows process thats starting up right before the tablet enters sleep mode?
    Or could this be done via Screen state? To start a dummy process when the tablet deactivates the screen?