What's new

Poll Yellow streak poll (Model + Lot #)

Does your SP3 have the dreaded yellow streak?

• Total voters
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

So far this is promising. The majority are having no problems. Wonder what is causing this since it isn't a broad manufacturing defect? I don't think it is heat as my SP3 has never gotten very hot and the side the yellow line is on is the cool side anyway. Glue problem maybe? I dunno, doubt glue would show through like that. Dunno. Maybe nothing to do with glue or heat, just a bad batch of screens?

Kif

My iPad mini retina has the same phenomenon along the bottom edge. I noticed it after reading a similar forum thread about the issue. I quickly stopped thinking about it and I haven't noticed since then.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard to know about these things but often there are multiple sources for parts including screens. IF it is a manufacturing defect it could be only one vendors screens that exhibit the problem. Then it could be a flaw common to the technology or an issue with the backlight. I don't know if that would be integrated into the display or how it would be done. perhaps overdriving the backlight on that side.

Other possibilities???

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Starting to get some serious light bleed in top right corner. This just appeared today. Beginning to think this is a glue issue.

20140830_225626.jpg

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I have it. i5 8gb lot 1427. (I hadn't noticed it until I read this forum!!)

Yes, I apologize for that. Same thing happened to me but mine has gotten worse and pretty sure I would have noticed it on my own shortly. I really do think this is another form of light bleed and because the SP3 is basically glued together, caused by improper gluing. That would make sense why some units have it and some don't. Gluing is an inexact science and more subject to variation that physically manufactured parts.

Message to MS - More screws, less glue. Thanks.

It's getting worse on mine. Found it on a multiple display copies at Future Shop. Pretty horrid. Gotta think there's gonna be a recall when MS catches wind of this.
20140829_165110.jpg