What's new

Poll Yellow streak poll (Model + Lot #)

Does your SP3 have the dreaded yellow streak?

• Total voters

wynand32

Starting to get some serious light bleed in top right corner. This just appeared today. Beginning to think this is a glue issue.

20140830_225626.jpg

Normally I'd definitely be tempted to think this was glue and typical light bleed (such as your screen as pictured). However, the yellow hazy line (YHL from now on) is separated from the edge of the screen by about 1/8 of an inch, and so I'm not sure how it could be light bleed and glue (certainly there shouldn't be a line of glue on the screen separate from the edge, should there?). Problem is, I don't know enough about LCD design to figure out what could cause this (and I'm not inclined to take the time to figure it out).

wynand32

This is why I don't think we can trust the results of this poll. I personally have seen this issue on every SP3 I've had (3) and seen at my local MS Store. Others can look at your pic and say they don't see anything, and others didn't even notice they had the streak until they read about it on this forum.

While my 3rd and current SP3 (i7, 256GB) has this issue, it is less visible than my previous 2 and my screen and SP3 are otherwise perfect. No dead pixels, no overheating or excessive fan, screen is otherwise great and the streak is dim enough that I sometimes completely forget it's there until I look for it. It definitely hasn't gotten worse and last night I looked for it, and could barely see it, it's possible it's either gotten better or just the conditions in my room at the time made it tougher to see.

Right. It's often difficult to see based on lighting and what's on the screen; then, it'll pop up out of nothing and drive a person crazy.

Ultimately, it's not so bad that it detracts from the SP3's utility. It's more like that scratch on a new car that's just enough to bug you. Biggest difference is you can't just buff this one out...

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Normally I'd definitely be tempted to think this was glue and typical light bleed (such as your screen as pictured). However, the yellow hazy line (YHL from now on) is separated from the edge of the screen by about 1/8 of an inch, and so I'm not sure how it could be light bleed and glue (certainly there shouldn't be a line of glue on the screen separate from the edge, should there?). Problem is, I don't know enough about LCD design to figure out what could cause this (and I'm not inclined to take the time to figure it out).

Well I am sure MS is fully aware of this problem. They are also aware that keeping it on the downlow is to their advantage as a massive recall would not be good for a product that has already lost them a ton and is just starting to regain credibility. This tells me two things:

1) Don't expect MS to say much about this.
2) Expect MS to work hard to fix the problem before it gets any bigger. Hence my rationale for waiting another 30 days or so before I exchange my SP3. I have 45 days.

It really does suck because this is otherwise such a perfect device. It's like dating a supermodel with bad breath. She is so hot but the breath is hard to ignore.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

The weird thing about the light bleed is that one day it wasn't there and then the next bam! I have't stressed the tablet, taken it anywhere, dropped it or tested to see how much pressure it would take to break it in half. It's like whatever was holding the screen down there just came loose all on its own. That's also the "hot" corner of the tablet, so I guess it makes sense that would be the spot for the glue to fail.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Here's an odd factoid. In our Galaxy Tab S Forum we also had people complaining of yellow screens (not merely a stripe, but all over). We took a poll there and the results were almost identical to what we are seeing with the SP3. Maybe some meaning in there somewhere.

But will backlight bleeding be so bad the screen becomes useless?

If I get a small leak I won't bother. Since I've started doing my programming for school it would be a hassle to replace my surface now lol.

Regarding the yellow bleed. I got slight one in the upper right corner. I notice if i press on the area the yellow bleed dissapears. So id guess its some connectivity issue.

dunno. maybe put a clamp there lol. jk

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

But will backlight bleeding be so bad the screen becomes useless?

If I get a small leak I won't bother. Since I've started doing my programming for school it would be a hassle to replace my surface now lol.

Unlikely. Just enough to notice when you have a black background. In defense of the SP3, I've never owned a laptop with an LCD screen that didn't have light bleed, sometimes a lot worse than this.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well, when you consider there tends to be a higher percentage of people in a forum with problems (why they are here), then the actual percentage in the marketplace isn't all that bad - maybe 10%. Odd thing is this is pretty much exactly the same percentage in a poll we did for the Galaxy Tab S for people who had screen problems with that.

Could be in general that about 10% of screens have some level of manufacturing defect and that's just the way it is.

Rowan

I have the yellow streak. Not very noticeable. Never saw it until this thread. But its there. I5 128...lot number and such no idea where to look for that.