What's new

Yellow Tint

Ozozuz

I'm sorry abount opening so many Threads, but since i'm just a student and a purchase of € 1,000 is not 'stuff all day I'm a little paranoid :V

Since the first minute, using the surface in front of my main desktop monitor I noticed that all colors, including white are all very warm and perhaps they excessively tend to yellow.
It 'a characteristic of this display? it can be compensated by software?

mitchellvii

If you want complete control over your colors you need to delete the stock Intel HD Drivers and install the latest ones from Intel (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx). This will give you the HD Control Panel which will allow you to control gamma, contrast, colors, etc.

To do this download the latest drivers from the Intel website. The ones you want are the .zip file, not the .exe. Unzip the file and leave it alone for a minute while you go to the Device Manager and delete the current display drivers. Reboot and then go back to where you unzipped the file and double click the setup.exe file. This will set up the new drivers.

You can then right click your desktop and get access to the HD Control Panel. Be aware that future hardware updates may revert this back. To avoid that set your updates to install manually.

**Don't know why the boffins at MS saw fit to deny us the HD Control Panel by default but they did. I've been running the latest Intel drivers (not the betas) since I purchased my SP3 without issue.

wynand32

Just FYI, I had a replacement unit for my original SP3 (which has a prominent yellow hazy line; there's a thread on it somewhere) on hand for a few days. Its screen was much more yellow than this one, and because it too had the line I sent it back.

This isn't a knock against the SP3. Every single tablet I've owned, and more than a few notebooks, have had significant screen variation. The tendency for some to be more yellow than others is common. If it can be fixed on the SP3 as @mitchellvii says here, then that would be a plus over most Android and iOS devices.

kodos

Mine has that yellow strip. Appears to be getting worse with time. Once I have less critical work to do - I am going to take it in after backing it up. It's just noticeable enough it meets my criteria (which usually never happens for things like this) for an exchange under warranty :(