What's new

Youtube Reviewer Sends Surface Book Back For Refund

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I guess the inevitable conclusion is that some SB users are having all kinds of problems and some are not. And I suppose which camp one finds oneself in depends on all kinds of variables, including configuration, build date, installed applications, usage patterns, and other factors.

However, the fact that many users are still having so many problems suggests that there is a problem, overall. Saying that some users are not having problems is no answer to those who are having problems. And having people in India telling customers to reinstall Windows as a supposed fix to every possible problem is a very weak and ineffective approach to customer service.
This is a painful transitional time in computing, most of the issues we face with the new generation devices is we still want them to function like Windows 7 (or earlier) devices. As I troubleshoot Surface Books in Enterprise environments most of the current problems are being caused by legacy group policy settings, legacy software and over-aggressive enterprise security suites that refuse to be suspended when the device goes into S0iX.

Those that have the least amount of issues are those who are using S0iX aware software and not trying to fiddle with the devices.

leeshor

I still can remember going through a lot of problems, not necessarily the same, with XP when it came out and again when Windows 7 was brand new. Just a different set of problems for each.

OP
N

netuser

This is a painful transitional time in computing, most of the issues we face with the new generation devices is we still want them to function like Windows 7 (or earlier) devices. As I troubleshoot Surface Books in Enterprise environments most of the current problems are being caused by legacy group policy settings, legacy software and over-aggressive enterprise security suites that refuse to be suspended when the device goes into S0iX.

Those that have the least amount of issues are those who are using S0iX aware software and not trying to fiddle with the devices.
In this case, that isn't the issue since he reset the Surface Book to factory settings and the issue didn't go away and it wasn't subject to any group policies.
We have filtered our sleep and hibernate related GPOs to only apply to Windows 7.
What kind of enterprise security software and group policies have you found to be problems for the Surface Book?
Is there really much "SoiX aware" software, especially security software, available on the market now?

Niterider4

I am using my SB exclusively for Microsoft Office. If Microsoft's "ultimate laptop" can't run Microsoft Office on Microsoft Windows, then it isn't very "ultimate" IMO.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
All kinds of people are sending all kinds of stuff back for a refund every day. The large amount of money involved raises passion, understandably. I am involved with over a hundred Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book users (corporate, professional society, and other groups) all but about four of whom have worked through some hiccups here and there, but are happy with the product. About half of these people are also heavy Mac users.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In this case, that isn't the issue since he reset the Surface Book to factory settings and the issue didn't go away and it wasn't subject to any group policies.
We have filtered our sleep and hibernate related GPOs to only apply to Windows 7.
What kind of enterprise security software and group policies have you found to be problems for the Surface Book?
Is there really much "SoiX aware" software, especially security software, available on the market now?
What I usually see is GPOs that applies Power Management that define Sleep, Lockout, etc. that prevents S0iX, background tasks (especially tasks from Kaseya's inventory or SCCM that isn't updated to 1511). Security Software is another bane, I know EndPoint Protection 2012 R2 again updated to 1511 works well with S0iX. Check with your vender to see if they support S0iX.

The other huge issue I've seen is destructive imaging with Fat Images that are generic and not tailored for the Surface Book. I've been moving my Windows 10 migration customers to use non-destructive imaging through Intune and if the need the Enterprise SKU is slgmgr /ato or /ipk to point them to a KMS or apply a Multiple Activation Key (MAK).

I am using my SB exclusively for Microsoft Office. If Microsoft's "ultimate laptop" can't run Microsoft Office on Microsoft Windows, then it isn't very "ultimate" IMO.

We have 5 Surface Books, we had the same pain points early on, but with the latest updates have fixed our issues.

Niterider4

I get encouraged every time problems seem to be fixed, and then I get discouraged every time old problems reappear, or new problems appear. It seems to me that each set of updates fixes one problem and creates another one.

Overall, I would have to say my SB experience has been one of frustration.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I get encouraged every time problems seem to be fixed, and then I get discouraged every time old problems reappear, or new problems appear. It seems to me that each set of updates fixes one problem and creates another one.

Overall, I would have to say my SB experience has been one of frustration.
Then exchange it or ask for a refund...

OP
N

netuser

What I usually see is GPOs that applies Power Management that define Sleep, Lockout, etc. that prevents S0iX, background tasks (especially tasks from Kaseya's inventory or SCCM that isn't updated to 1511). Security Software is another bane, I know EndPoint Protection 2012 R2 again updated to 1511 works well with S0iX. Check with your vender to see if they support S0iX.

The other huge issue I've seen is destructive imaging with Fat Images that are generic and not tailored for the Surface Book. I've been moving my Windows 10 migration customers to use non-destructive imaging through Intune and if the need the Enterprise SKU is slgmgr /ato or /ipk to point them to a KMS or apply a Multiple Activation Key (MAK).

I don't understand how a lockout policy affects this.
Can you be more specific?

fonzman78

Then exchange it or ask for a refund...

Agreed. @Niterider4 , why didn't you return the SB when you were within the return period? Or why didn't you do proper research when buying it?

If you had problems from the get go, return it. Simple. I would never consider keeping a defective device especially if I had paid $2500. I would keep trying to work out issues and then, on day 30, I would return it if I wasn't satisfied.

If you did research before buying, then you would've seen some folks posting their dissatisfaction from day 1. You would've been alerted to these issues and then, once again, you have 30 days to ensure whether or not you are willing to continue with the SB.

I guess I don't understand folks who purchase a device, are dissatisfied with it, and decide to keep it. This is why there are online reviews everywhere so that folks can make intelligent purchasing decisions on expensive devices. I assure you that I would not make a major purchase without doing proper research.

Perhaps you could sell your SB on eBay or Craigslist for a loss. At least you will get some $$ back and not have the frustrations of dealing with SB issues. You can turn around and get a Mac laptop or iPad Pro or whatever will work better for you.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand how a lockout policy affects this.
Can you be more specific?
Typically any power management policy or group policy that prevents typical S0iX behavior can impact the overall battery life and stability. If you are still using GPOs you should be importing any ADMX files for Windows 10 Enterprise, Download Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10 from Official Microsoft Download Center
And Reference:
Download Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server from Official Microsoft Download Center

OP
N

netuser

I'm referring to account lockout policy (lock out the account if an incorrect password is entered too many times), not power management.
I don't understand how an account lockout is relevant to power management.