What's new

Youtube Reviewer Sends Surface Book Back For Refund

mmc

My Surface Book is now "good enough" with the many updates and the remaining problems are minor to me. In other words, the remaining problems aren't so big that I'm willing to take the financial hit of selling this to move into something else. Am I recommending this to anyone? The opposite, I'm telling them to stay away. I can't remember the Microsoft guy that always announces the hardware, but he likes to talk about the emotional response the hardware invokes. OH IT SURE DOES.......

CrippsCorner

It's funny how Twitter seems to beat everything for customer support these days!

Saying that... I actually tweeted both Microsoft and the Outlook team for help with an issue regarding emails and I never got a reply; so it doesn't work every time :(

Plantje

I haven't read through all of the responses, but I think this is an interesting thread.

I have seen some reviews from Lon before and I have to admit: in general he is very objective and doesn't make it personal. Still I am a huge fan of Microsoft. But there is some stuff that makes one think again.

I have a Surface 3 and I noticed that some pressure on the screen is visible on the screen itself. And of cours you're pushing the screen, because it is a touch screen! When writing with the pen it is even more visible. So I thought: " This must be an issue of only my Surface 3" . So, I went into a store and saw other Surface 3 devices where having the same issue.
Heck, even Surface Pro 4 devices were having the issue! Check these videos for the result of a simple test:
A Surface 3: http://1drv.ms/1KUzVrk
A Surface Pro 4: http://1drv.ms/1KUAu4v
And that is where I agree with Lon and a lot of the people that respond to this thread: this is not ok for a device this expensive! Take a $ 500,- iPad and you can push the screen until your fingers turn blue: it will not be noticeable on the screen. Mind you: the touch in the videos I made is very light pressure!
So I can agree that there are some instances where one would expect better quality.

What I cannot relate to is Microsoft customer support. I have called them a few times:
-To get my Surface 3 registered (which was labeled as a business device that could only receive paid business support)
-To mention an issue with the Type Cover. That Type Cover was replaced in the long run
-To ask questions on the home use program.
Every time the Microsoft employees have been very helpful and actually solved the issue! I do understand this might be different in cases where they are unable to solve the issue. But in general in the Netherlands Microsoft customer support is very good!
What I do recognize is the fact that if you use the Microsoft Community to ask questions you almost always get the same response from someone from India: do a wsreset, dism/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth, do a full reset of the device etc. Even if you ask a question that may be answered with: "Nothing is wrong with your device, this is 'as designed'." Or in cases where I had proof that this happens on every device. I asked them: "Please try to reproduce the issue on any given, new device and you will see this has nothing to do with my current installation!" They refused and kept coming back with the same issues.

Unfortunately I have to agree as well that nowadays Twitter works better for getting customer support :( It is not my style to put issues like these out in the open and make use of the fact that everyone can read it, but unfortunately it seems the only thing that can get the right people moving and really take a look at an issue! It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.
My girlfriend applied for a job at Ikea. She got the standard "unfortunately we see no match for you for now...bla bla" response. With no possible way to communicate with the person who took a look at her application! So, I messaged Ikea on Twitter (not even threw a public tweet out there) and instantly got an E-mail address and phone number of their HR department. She gave them a call and the person she talked to walked through her letter together with her. The only thing he could imagine was that she didn't have noted experience in advising people in furniture. She still didn't get the job, but she did get some answers. And perhaps this HR rep now keeps an open eye for a next job application that she may do.

yonghong

I haven't read through all of the responses, but I think this is an interesting thread.

I have seen some reviews from Lon before and I have to admit: in general he is very objective and doesn't make it personal. Still I am a huge fan of Microsoft. But there is some stuff that makes one think again.

I have a Surface 3 and I noticed that some pressure on the screen is visible on the screen itself. And of cours you're pushing the screen, because it is a touch screen! When writing with the pen it is even more visible. So I thought: " This must be an issue of only my Surface 3" . So, I went into a store and saw other Surface 3 devices where having the same issue.
Heck, even Surface Pro 4 devices were having the issue! Check these videos for the result of a simple test:
A Surface 3: http://1drv.ms/1KUzVrk
A Surface Pro 4: http://1drv.ms/1KUAu4v
And that is where I agree with Lon and a lot of the people that respond to this thread: this is not ok for a device this expensive! Take a $ 500,- iPad and you can push the screen until your fingers turn blue: it will not be noticeable on the screen. Mind you: the touch in the videos I made is very light pressure!
So I can agree that there are some instances where one would expect better quality.

What I cannot relate to is Microsoft customer support. I have called them a few times:
-To get my Surface 3 registered (which was labeled as a business device that could only receive paid business support)
-To mention an issue with the Type Cover. That Type Cover was replaced in the long run
-To ask questions on the home use program.
Every time the Microsoft employees have been very helpful and actually solved the issue! I do understand this might be different in cases where they are unable to solve the issue. But in general in the Netherlands Microsoft customer support is very good!
What I do recognize is the fact that if you use the Microsoft Community to ask questions you almost always get the same response from someone from India: do a wsreset, dism/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth, do a full reset of the device etc. Even if you ask a question that may be answered with: "Nothing is wrong with your device, this is 'as designed'." Or in cases where I had proof that this happens on every device. I asked them: "Please try to reproduce the issue on any given, new device and you will see this has nothing to do with my current installation!" They refused and kept coming back with the same issues.

Unfortunately I have to agree as well that nowadays Twitter works better for getting customer support :( It is not my style to put issues like these out in the open and make use of the fact that everyone can read it, but unfortunately it seems the only thing that can get the right people moving and really take a look at an issue! It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.
My girlfriend applied for a job at Ikea. She got the standard "unfortunately we see no match for you for now...bla bla" response. With no possible way to communicate with the person who took a look at her application! So, I messaged Ikea on Twitter (not even threw a public tweet out there) and instantly got an E-mail address and phone number of their HR department. She gave them a call and the person she talked to walked through her letter together with her. The only thing he could imagine was that she didn't have noted experience in advising people in furniture. She still didn't get the job, but she did get some answers. And perhaps this HR rep now keeps an open eye for a next job application that she may do.
Are you ok? You just a picky person , ikea will never ever give the job to your gf.

Plantje

Yes, I am fine. What makes you think I am a picky person? And what makes you come to the conclusion that my girlfriend will never get a job at Ikea?

For the record: I was just giving another example of how nowadays customer support and official channels don't work anymore. It's all social media that is used to contact companies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I am fine. What makes you think I am a picky person? And what makes you come to the conclusion that my girlfriend will never get a job at Ikea?

For the record: I was just giving another example of how nowadays customer support and official channels don't work anymore. It's all social media that is used to contact companies.

I've never had to use social media to contact a company in my life, and never would. I've always been able to get any information I need by just picking up the phone.

Plantje

With Microsoft I didn't have the need too. However it is a trend that I see a lot. Just an observation....

Grumpy2

IMO Microsoft fan boys are happy to accept mediocrity - as evidenced by comments on the site and this subject - of both the products that Microsoft markets and the service (or lack thereof ) that Microsoft provides. Well I for one am not. That is why I am moving to a different platform. eg: If I call Microsoft support I talk to someone in Asia somewhere, whereas if I call Apple support I talk to a person in Australia (where I live ). Another problem with Microsoft support is that they tell you to take it to a Microsoft store, which is impossible as there is only one in Australia and that is in Sydney. And I live nowhere near Sydney. Whereas Apple has a store in the city I live in. When you buy a device of any description customer support and service is paramount. Apple provides that support Microsoft does not. Here in Australia anyway. Hence the reason I am gradually moving over to that fruit company. I recently purchased an iPhone 6S and it is by far the best mobile phone I have owned since buying my first in 1994. That was a Nokia phone and I bought and owned Nokia phones up until late last year. I would not buy a Microsoft mobile (or cell phone as the Americans call them) phone in a fit due to lack of support in this country. Heck even Samsung has better support than Microsoft. In fact non of the American companies (other than Apple) provide support in this country. Perhaps it is an American thing. Sell the product but then do not provide support.

Seneleron

After four pages of this all I can think is "did I accidentally go into the macrumors forums by mistake???

I like Lon. I totally empathize with his situation, though I think he brought it on halfway himself when he was hinted at MULTIPLE TIMES that he needed to go to a physical store, yet he persisted in refusing, because an hour drive each way [you could've called the store and ASKED THEM, Lon] wasted more time than spending 6 hours on the phone with MS overseas tech support.

If you can read that sentence out loud without passing out your lungs are in AWESOME shape!

I'm going to stop right there. Anything else I say is going to be counterproductive. This forum is still a GREAT resource when I have a question or an issue I can't quite figure out on my own [like how to fix Windows Hello, -- thank y'all btw] and I'd rather not risk burning any bridges by running my mouth.

[yea, I know, but there's a first time for everything :p ]

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Welllllll Some companies embrace the fact that public posts on TWITTER hurt their brand, other do not seem to care, and the last group, can not get out of their own way to help themselves.

1) 'Automatic' maker of a Car tracker -- excellent support via TWITTER
2) Hurtz, ignore them and they will stop tweeting...
3) Microsoft, we know we should reply, so we will hire brainless people to respond, so that it looks like we are attentive.

I would not say you should use Social Media as your prime support, but, if people need a little help to quite down bad press, than companies should help, thus, tweeting a bad experience can result in support.

All that said, Microsoft Surface support has gone from a train wreck to not so bad over Nov-March from my experience calling them. That seem to match the product stability to. When the Surface Pro and Book were a mess of support, their support line was too.

Plantje

Agreed, that is the basic idea when it comes to why some companies act a lot faster when you use social media to get support. Not per say you should ask support there...just start complaining and someone will pick it up. It is not something I like, but it seems to work that way in a lot of cases!

That said... I have very good experience with Microsoft customer support in the Netherlands. Time and again I got to talk to a Dutch person who didn't stop until all my questions were answered and/or my issue was resolved.
On the other hand: when using the Microsoft community I hardly ever get a useful answer. It almost always comes down to resetting your device. Which doesn't work. And if you get back to them mentioning it doesn't work in most cases everything stays silent.