What's new

1/18/14 Firmware Issue 4300U Processor

jrapdx

I thought the problem was resolved but it is obviously alive and well. It only seems to happen when running off battery as I cannot get it to reproduce while it is plugged in and charging. This also does not happen 100% of the time so if I wake it right after the screen goes black there is an excellent chance that it will wake to the level of brightness that I have set. But if I let it sit for 5-6 minutes it seems to wake up very dim and over the next 3-5 seconds have slight flicker increases of brightness to get to the level of brightness that I have it set for which is right around 75% on battery.

Sometimes after restarting the level of brightness is much higher than before the restart. Can't pin down reproducible sequence of actions, it seems to occur intermittently without any discernible pattern. I think you may be right that this "brilliant" effect happens on battery, but I couldn't swear it's not occurred plugged in.

What I do when it happens, log in and then I dim it down with the Fn+Backspace key. Then the vertical bar indicator shows the formerly set level of 50% (or whatever it was before restarting). It's like the SP2 is "confused" about the brightness setting, but after being "reminded", it behaves better.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Sometimes after restarting the level of brightness is much higher than before the restart. Can't pin down reproducible sequence of actions, it seems to occur intermittently without any discernible pattern. I think you may be right that this "brilliant" effect happens on battery, but I couldn't swear it's not occurred plugged in.

What I do when it happens, log in and then I dim it down with the Fn+Backspace key. Then the vertical bar indicator shows the formerly set level of 50% (or whatever it was before restarting). It's like the SP2 is "confused" about the brightness setting, but after being "reminded", it behaves better.

Mine is never higher mine is always lower and then it creeps its way up. It's like it needs a few seconds to warm up like the old day tube TVs.

InkyRag

I just got my wife the 256 GB version. It was the only one that I could find and it was at our local Microsoft store. No one else had one at the moment including the online store. It was a 1350 lot number and it turned out to be one with the 4300U CPU. I got lucky.

EDIT: Wrong Thead

Last edited:
OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

jrapdx

Mine is never higher mine is always lower and then it creeps its way up. It's like it needs a few seconds to warm up like the old day tube TVs.

I've seen it do that too, but it hasn't been all that bothersome. Actually, the brightness will "creep" up or down in small increments, like it's trying to find the right level. If brightness is changing up and down in quick succession it begins to look "unstable", one step brighter, two steps dimmer and so on. It hasn't been too annoying, perhaps your SP2 is more afflicted by such variability. Does it help to turn off the auto brightness adjustment? That is a feature which can be problematic.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I've seen it do that too, but it hasn't been all that bothersome. Actually, the brightness will "creep" up or down in small increments, like it's trying to find the right level. If brightness is changing up and down in quick succession it begins to look "unstable", one step brighter, two steps dimmer and so on. It hasn't been too annoying, perhaps your SP2 is more afflicted by such variability. Does it help to turn off the auto brightness adjustment? That is a feature which can be problematic.

I keep auto brightness off. That is what is kind of alarming to me. I just want to be sure that this isn't some lemon or something.

jrapdx

I keep auto brightness off. That is what is kind of alarming to me. I just want to be sure that this isn't some lemon or something.

Of course, it's hard to know how much a "lemon" your SP2 may be, but your description doesn't seem to be far different than what I see on my SP2. Naturally, people vary re: sensitivity to screen flicker and the like. I notice the SP2 has a slight flicker but it has also been visible in other computers, monitors, tablets as well. With the SP2 I'm striving to ignore it, and concentrating on the work I need to get done.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I guess the good thing is that it only seems to effect mine the first 3-5 seconds that it is turned on or woken up and then it goes away or at least I don't notice it anymore.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

LOL, No wonder I could not find my post. I would have sworn that was the tread I was posting to.

No problem it happens all the time. That's why I included a link because I get lost out here too and when someone points me in the right direction with a link it sure is helpful for me. Have a good one and congrats again on the 4300!

macmee

Why mention the newer processor in the title at all, I only ask because are you saying the newer processor gets different software updates? Why would this be so, the processors are practically identical.