What's new

10/26 firmware inbound

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It fixes the Secure Boot Bluescreen on the SP3 running Windows 10 TH2 after the bad patch last week....

kristalsoldier

So, in effect, this firmware update is to bring the SP3 up to speed with the new dock and the KB, among other things? I notice though that after the update my SP3 is running warm (but not hot) and the fans are on.

It fixes the Secure Boot Bluescreen on the SP3 running Windows 10 TH2 after the bad patch last week....

Unfortunately it didn't fix everything for me. I got my SP3 in a funny state. It is booting OK but the store and store apps will not run. They are greyed out in the Start menu, and attempting to run them says to check the store. It was like this before the firmware update as well. The bad patch shows 3 times in my installed updates (2 unsuccessful, one waiting for restart). I'm hoping the next preview build will fix it, otherwise I'll need to reset the OS. I've tried restoring the OS but it gets hung.

r0b123

No issues after the update. Will probably pick up the Sp4 finger print ID keyboard later today and see how well it works with my SP3. SP4 pickup will be end of the week and hopefully be using it full time after I transfer all my files.

OP
Compusmurf

Compusmurf

Unfortunately it didn't fix everything for me. I got my SP3 in a funny state. It is booting OK but the store and store apps will not run. They are greyed out in the Start menu, and attempting to run them says to check the store. It was like this before the firmware update as well. The bad patch shows 3 times in my installed updates (2 unsuccessful, one waiting for restart). I'm hoping the next preview build will fix it, otherwise I'll need to reset the OS. I've tried restoring the OS but it gets hung.

Your issue is OS related and a firmware fix probably won't help.

Have you tried any of these steps?

Admin powershell:

Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose }

This reregisters your "windows store" apps.
-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Admin command prompt:

sfc /scannow

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

These 3 check the OS.

If you're using the insider version, you have to download and mount the CD image tho and use a variant of this command instead of restore health.... (Change drive letters, etc)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:I:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

buers

On my SP3 i5 running Win8.1 after applying the firmware update, the Audio stopped working on the monitor connected over a mini display port to HDMI Adapter connected to the docking station. In the event log I get critical errors:

I’ll show the original German phrasing and my own translation.

Source: Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode

Event-ID: 10116

Das Gerät "Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device" (Ort "0000.0014.0000.002.005.000.000.000.000") ist aufgrund eines Ausfalls eines Benutzermodustreibers offline. Ein Neustart des Geräts im gemeinsam genutzten Prozess wird 1 Mal versucht, bevor das Gerät in den eigenen Prozess verschoben wird. Weitere Informationen zu diesem Problem erhalten Sie beim Gerätehersteller.

The Device "Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device" is because of the failure of a user mode driver offline. A restart will be tried once, before the device will be shifted into an own process. More information will be available by the manufacturer.

After rebooting, I also see an exclamation mark in the device manager for the Microsoft Docking station Audio device. That goes away after a while, but still I cannot select Speakers of the Docking station Audio device in the Audio device chooser of the task bar. It is listed as not connected and greyed out.

I get similar event log entries for "Surface Type Cover Firmware Update", "Surface Cover Telemetry", "HID Sensor Collection", IDs 10115 or 10116. I have not seen any problems connected to type cover, however (I am using the original Surface Pro 3 type cover).

Anybody else with similar observations? Any idea how to fix it? I have already uninstalled the driver (but not deleted it). Did not help.

I had not applied the September firmware update (which was later withdrawn).

BTW. Is there an easy way, to display the event log messages in English on a German system (for the purpose of posting it in an international forum – I want to keep the system in German)?

Last edited:
Your issue is OS related and a firmware fix probably won't help.

Have you tried any of these steps?

Admin powershell:

Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose }

This reregisters your "windows store" apps.
-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Admin command prompt:

sfc /scannow

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

These 3 check the OS.

If you're using the insider version, you have to download and mount the CD image tho and use a variant of this command instead of restore health.... (Change drive letters, etc)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:I:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Did all of the above, multiple times. I ended up fixing it by re-installing the OS from DVD (from downloaded 10565 ISO).

Roozbeh

Well I rarely had issues with wifi from last year that I purchased the device!
But yesterday night everything was ok. turned of my surface pro 3(windows 10). this morning I dont even have a wifi device!
I did a restart...then a firmware update...then nothing!
Somethimes on device manager it say...wifi device can not allocate resources (code 12)! But most of the time I dont even have a wifi device!!!
They should really do a testing or w have to turn off automatic updates!!

I reall dont know without internet how can they push updates to solve my problem!