What's new

10.5 hours today!

mtalinm

at desk by 8:45 am. Left the SP2 open on the desk while taking notes until 6:45 pm. Screen saver came out several times, but I don't think it ever went to sleep. Then walked home and got another 30m out of it before it shut down at 5% left.

If it seems too good to be true, some details:

* was not on WiFi at the office, only at home. (certainly ran down faster there)
* Bluetooth off
* screen down low, probably 20% but still quite visible
* not running Office until I got home, just OneNote for the most part

Still, I was blown away at how long it lasted. Methinks I'll be slipping into airplane mode when I want the longest battery life (will keep me from getting distracted, too!).

CrippsCorner

Good going! Whack on the Power Cover and we have over 12 hours :) not that I personally need that but great for some...

oion

at desk by 8:45 am. Left the SP2 open on the desk while taking notes until 6:45 pm. Screen saver came out several times, but I don't think it ever went to sleep. Then walked home and got another 30m out of it before it shut down at 5% left.

If it seems too good to be true, some details:

* was not on WiFi at the office, only at home. (certainly ran down faster there)
* Bluetooth off
* screen down low, probably 20% but still quite visible
* not running Office until I got home, just OneNote for the most part

Still, I was blown away at how long it lasted. Methinks I'll be slipping into airplane mode when I want the longest battery life (will keep me from getting distracted, too!).

Nice results. The screen is always the biggest power hog on any mobile device, so it makes sense that 20% with the lights out would work out well. So both wifi/bluetooth off. Good to know. There's been discussion around about the effects of turning bluetooth off while wifi is on, and apparently that actually increases battery drain--Jeff's thoughts about it here (I thought it was a bug that was fixed):

It was listed as a bug in the Beta, but it makes me think that due to the tight integration between the radios on a single piece of silicon the driver power management works best with everything on or off...

I ran my Surface 2 test with wifi on and bluetooth off, which makes me wonder what sort of hours I can post with both on. Hm!