What's new

10 reasons to buy a Windows tablet for work instead of an iPad or Android

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surprisingly positive article considering the source.

Source ZDNet: http://www.zdnet.com/article/10-rea...or-work-instead-of-an-ipad-or-android-tablet/

When you think of getting a tablet, chances are the iPad or Android tablets come to mind first. But if you plan on using the device for work, a Windows tablet may be a better solution.

Tablets are going to work instead of laptops in some cases or to augment them in others. They can do a lot in the enterprise, some more than others. While the iPad and Android tablets are capable workmates, the tablets of choice are those running Windows.

Windows has enjoyed a long reign as king of the workplace and that hasn't changed. There are a number of solid reasons why that is, and these reasons contribute to making Windows tablets the choice to take to work.

1. More choice
There are lots of Windows tablets to choose from, as opposed to two iPad models. There are quite a few Android tablets, but many of those are cheap knockoffs so you must be careful. Choice extends to brands, with Windows slates available from all the major vendors familiar to the enterprise.

The many options for Windows tablets make it easier to find one that fits individual needs. This is especially true when it comes to screen size, particularly for larger slates which at times can be a better solution for work
2. Docking stations
3. Peripherals
4. Apps
5. Windows 10
6. Multitasking
Windows was built from the ground up to run many apps at the same time. That's not the case with iOS, and while Android can do so it's not as efficient at it as Windows.​
7. Multiple windows
Multitasking is most effective when multiple apps can be on the tablet screen at the same time. Windows has long been good for doing that...

Having more than one app onscreen at the same time is not possible at all on the iPad, and only on a few Android tablets. The Android tablets that can do it aren't very good at it, either.
8. Collaboration
The ability to share documents and communicate with coworkers, especially team mates, is critical in most work settings. The iPad and Android tablets can do that but Windows is very good with business class options.

See also: How digital collaboration will evolve in 2015

Office documents are better shared on Windows as it can run full Office. The iPad and Android now have reasonable versions of Office, but working with a Windows tablet means you don't have to worry that coworkers will be able to do everything that might need to be done with your documents.

Collaboration tools exist for the iPad and Android but Windows can do it all, especially in a typical Windows work environment.
9. Surface tablets
The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is probably the best work tablet currently available. It features enterprise class performance as good as many laptops. The recently released Surface 3 is not as powerful but is capable.​

The Surface tablets are great travel companions and while there are other Windows tablet options, many will find these to be first class slates. They both are outstanding tablets for working with pens, something the iPad is not good at doing. On the Android front pretty much only the Galaxy Note tablets can use the pen, and then it's not a very productive experience.​

10. Pen support
Speaking of pen support, many Windows tablets offer it as at least an option. Pen support is very good in Windows as it is ingrained into the heart of the OS. The ability to input text by handwriting is appealing to some and the Windows tablet is where to get it.​

As mentioned, the iPad is not very good with pens due to the lack of an active digitizer. It requires a capacitive pen which isn't very precise like the active models on Windows tablets. Only a few iOS apps support pens anyway, so the utility is limited.​

On Android, pen support is actually worse than that on the iPad. It works OK on the Galaxy Note tablets but Samsung's apps aren't very good at taking advantage of it. You can't make a good case for either the iPad nor Android. Windows rules the pen roost easily.​

In summary
A Windows tablet may not be ideal for everyone, but it is the best choice for many use cases --for the reasons outlined above. This applies to employees of large companies in particular. Since Windows tablets provide more options to the enterprise when it comes to accessories, there is more cost flexibility. Also, business professionals will benefit from the app selection and the wide range of accessories. There are Windows tablets and peripherals available in a wide range of pricing to fit any budget.
=======================

Surprisingly positive article considering the source.

See the linked article for more details of 1-10.

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

I've owned the iPad 1 and 2. I also owned a Galaxy Tab. Yes, these are all great products and have the apps. However, it's always missed something...that's productivity. While owning the iPads and Galaxy, I always tugged around some sort of Windows laptop. At the end, I sold the iPads and GTab. Ever since the Surface was released, I could never go back to an iPad or Galaxy.

For the reasons why I prefer a Windows device (Surface Pro 3), well, that was listed by the OP.

I do have a Galaxy S5 because work issued me one.

Cant wait for Windows 10.