What's new

10041 and display timeout

cvc988

My power settings are set correctly by my monitors keep turning off and the PC going to sleep on 10041. Are there any new settings somewhere?

OP
C

cvc988

And I thought I solved this by completely disabling all screen saver settings, but now it is back. It just randomly after a few minutes goes dark on me. It is then hit or miss how I can wake it up. Sometimes have to undock it, unplug HDMI cables, etc. Any ideas here? I've changed nothing.

OP
C

cvc988

Some more info... Sifting through the event logs, I found this. This appears to be the event but where can I completely disable it? Why is it conflicting with power settings?

The system is entering connected standby

Reason: 21.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Because the SP3 is S0iX Machine that utilizes a Power Management/Thermal Firmware that manages these below the OS. And since you are running Windows 10 the Hyper-V trick won't stop this as Hyper-V in Windows 10 is Connected Standby capable.

OP
C

cvc988

Because the SP3 is S0iX Machine that utilizes a Power Management/Thermal Firmware that manages these below the OS. And since you are running Windows 10 the Hyper-V trick won't stop this as Hyper-V in Windows 10 is Connected Standby capable.

This doesn't explain:

A) Why me disabling all of the power saving options (sleep, display timeout, etc.) have no impact
B) Why it is nearly impossible to wake the device up and I have to hold Volume + Power to hard boot

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This doesn't explain:

A) Why me disabling all of the power saving options (sleep, display timeout, etc.) have no impact
B) Why it is nearly impossible to wake the device up and I have to hold Volume + Power to hard boot

As I said, the Power Management Firmware runs below the OS Level. Windows 10 is still in Preview and doesn't come out of Connected Standby cleanly every time. All of us at some point have to use that method because we're running Windows 10. What Build are you running? Have you ran the Sleep Study?

OP
C

cvc988

I am on 10041. I haven't run the sleep study because what I care most about is stopping it from going to sleep in the first place.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I am on 10041. I haven't run the sleep study because what I care most about is stopping it from going to sleep in the first place.
At least in these last two builds, 10041 and 10049 I haven't seen away that it responds to never enter Connected Standby.