What's new

128 GB Surface Pro Memory Problems

demandarin

That was a 256 8gb....not sure if that compares exactly. Turned on high performance and still got the error...kinda irritating. Anyone able to tell me if their physical memory shows the same with nothing open per my pics. 128 4 gb version.

What happens when you choose to ignore or close the prompt saying low memory? Does it continue to play as normal or does it put you in windowed mode? I get this sometimes with Crisis2 and I just ignore it and game still plays fine. Windows should automatically free up resources need for main program you using at the moment.

Its likely something simple as your device should have no issue, even at 4gb ram, of running Diablo 3.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you attempted to run the game in compatibility mode? I would use Windows 7 personally as it was the last of the x86 OS that used the XP style memory management that so many Win32 binaries are coded around.

OP
T

Tastykilljoy

Playing in windowed mode seems to help with the error but after about 45 minutes the surface is smoking hot and then it starts to get some hiccups. I didn't think this thing should perform like that and I'm still a bit concerned with my specific unit. Anyone been putting the 128 gb version through some gaming sessions? Preferrably diablo 3 for comparison?

demandarin

Here is the game running very well on 1st. Generation pro with 4gb of ram and a slightly less powerful gpu, HD4000. Your pro 2 has HD 4400. This isn't even a very demanding game for real. No reason why it runs so well on pro1 but not your pro2. Something is likely running in background using up your memory. As all apps and such should be closed when you about to game. Especially with desktop games.

[video=youtube_share;SlGIxPijIpM]http://youtu.be/SlGIxPijIpM[/video]

I highly recommend subscribing to his channel. He has tons of gaming videos with pro1. Anything that'll run on pro1 will run even netter on pro2. Plus he just got a pro2 and started uploading gaming vide. Of that. Only pro2 one je has uploaded so far is elder scrolls skyrim. You can also ask him about your issue.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Did you try Compatibility Mode? Since below we see that it ran fine in Windows 8, set it to Windows 8 or see if the ISV has a SHIM for Windows 8.1.

OP
T

Tastykilljoy

ALLCAPS,
Did you play in windowed mode or fullscreen? Graphics settings? Also what firmware and drivers do you have? U are using a 128 correct? If ours are all the same I wonder why I would get an error..... still concerned here...

ALLCAPS

I am using 256/8GB memory version, latest everything. 720p fullscreen res, with everything set at "High", shadows were at "High" without (Smooth). I played for like four hours yesterday with my brother with great performance and no issues. When I exited I saw that message, and hit cancel on it. There were no ill effects. Like I said above I've seen this on my desktop sometimes as well, and it has 16GB of memory, since upgrading to 8.1. Just let it ride, you are obviously not out of memory. It's either a bug or windows being overprotective when the video card and game both ramp up the memory they're using.

LinkRS

I am trying to play Diablo 3 on the 128 GB surface pro 2, but I keep getting low on memory errors. Performance isn't good either with lots of stuttering and hiccups. When checking task manager it says it is only using about 600MB RAM... I also lowered settings with no improvement. Could the RAM be bad or is this expected performance level?

Hi Tastykilljoy,

That error that you mentioned typically has to do with low virtual memory, and not low physical memory. Windows will swap out inactive processes to the page file (on the hard disk) when RAM usage meets a certain threshold. Due to the use-case of the SP, I would imagine that the paging file is restricted to a certain size, and when the system tries to grow it, you get the error message you are seeing. This same thing would happen on a system with 8 GBs of RAM as well due to it not really being a physical RAM shortage. You should check your free space on your paging drive (it is the C drive on the SP 1) and make sure there is sufficient free space. Good luck!

Rich S.

sockfish

I get the memory low notification on both SC2 and D3 and I have a 128/4gb. When monitoring it in windowed mode, it appears that the warning comes in around 65-70% of total memory usage, with the game taking up about 1.25GB of ram during the warning. Hasn't affected anything, but I sure wish the warning came in at closer to 85%.

D

Deleted member 10837

I get the memory low notification on both SC2 and D3 and I have a 128/4gb. When monitoring it in windowed mode, it appears that the warning comes in around 65-70% of total memory usage, with the game taking up about 1.25GB of ram during the warning. Hasn't affected anything, but I sure wish the warning came in at closer to 85%.

You can try downloadmoreram.com or disable the warning.

How to disable low memory warnings and the advantages of removing the page file » halflight.com.au

oion

Well, I have no idea if this goes here. I was watching an Oct28 Surface Pro 2 review of Batman Arkham Origins and he describes getting a bunch of memory errors while running the game on an 8GB Surface and was contacted by the Surface team saying "the memory warnings might have been caused by the sound driver. Just patch your Surface to the latest hardware patch and the issue should go away."