What's new

128GB MicroSD card keeps unmounting/crashing

kitenski

Mine has been fine for over a week now over various reboots, sleeps and hibernation events. Have dropbox and onedrive syncing to it.

DALEcz

I bought the SanDisk Ultra 128 GB micro SDXC card (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA) on Friday and so far so good!
Previously I had problems with the 64 GB Adata card (unmounting and crashing all the time), but this SanDisk seems finally ok. Several restarts, many waking ups from sleep/hybernation, moving around 200 GB there and from there, I have a download folder there, etc. and so far no problems.
I think kitenski has the same card - so maybe this type is (hopefully) Surface 3 friendly.

jcgc

Thought I would relate my continuing attempts to find a resolution. So far haven't tried a different card.

At this point I have had two online chats with tech support and in each case they were ready to replace the Surface. One phone call that ended in the same way.

Yesterday I took it in to the MS Store. The tech first says that the best SD is either Kingston or Corsair but concedes that there should be nothing wrong with the Samsung Evo+ 128gb that I have. He then tells me something that I haven't heard which is I need to download and install a driver for the card from Samsung which he proceeds to do, supposedly. The odd thing is that after he did this it was restarted and the card showed up. I put it into hibernation and when it came back up it was there.

About an hour later after I had left the store I brought it out of hibernation and the card wasn't seen. I re-inserted and then checked the driver and it is the same old 2006 driver from MS. So I have no idea what he actually did, if anything. I was unable to find any driver for the card from Samsung in my own online search.

So, back to square one. At this point considering trying to get them to replace it at the store. Reading various forums there is an ongoing debate as to whether this is hardware or software and I certainly don't know.

The one valuable lesson I had confirmed by my dealings with tech support is that there is certainly no point in purchasing the extended service agreement. In 2 plus decades of using PCs virtually any issue I have run into I have solved or found the help I needed in forums or websites not related to the PC manufacturer and on those rare instances I have followed the advice of the level 1 tech support generally caused more problems and didn't fix the one they were called on.

I did have higher hopes for the support at the MS store.

LoriMomof9

anyone use a Samsung card - I have a 64 gb evoPlus microSDXC that I have not opened yet. I am wondering how it works, if it is a good one? I can still return it to BestBuy if I need to....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thought I would relate my continuing attempts to find a resolution. So far haven't tried a different card.

At this point I have had two online chats with tech support and in each case they were ready to replace the Surface. One phone call that ended in the same way.

Yesterday I took it in to the MS Store. The tech first says that the best SD is either Kingston or Corsair but concedes that there should be nothing wrong with the Samsung Evo+ 128gb that I have. He then tells me something that I haven't heard which is I need to download and install a driver for the card from Samsung which he proceeds to do, supposedly. The odd thing is that after he did this it was restarted and the card showed up. I put it into hibernation and when it came back up it was there.

About an hour later after I had left the store I brought it out of hibernation and the card wasn't seen. I re-inserted and then checked the driver and it is the same old 2006 driver from MS. So I have no idea what he actually did, if anything. I was unable to find any driver for the card from Samsung in my own online search.

So, back to square one. At this point considering trying to get them to replace it at the store. Reading various forums there is an ongoing debate as to whether this is hardware or software and I certainly don't know.

The one valuable lesson I had confirmed by my dealings with tech support is that there is certainly no point in purchasing the extended service agreement. In 2 plus decades of using PCs virtually any issue I have run into I have solved or found the help I needed in forums or websites not related to the PC manufacturer and on those rare instances I have followed the advice of the level 1 tech support generally caused more problems and didn't fix the one they were called on.

I did have higher hopes for the support at the MS store.
All this and so far you haven't tried a different card? really? why not?
You're ready to replace your Surface without trying a different card?
what am I missing, was this card given to you by the Pope or Saint MicroSD the patron saint of removable storage?

A 128GB card is the only size I haven't used, but as a 64GB card is recognised, that is what I use and constantly transfer music and video's to it as the storage on my S3 is at a premium.

rennervision

This isn't a problem unique to the Surface 3. I came across this thread by Googling my error code 43 which is on an HP Pro 608 (Windows 10). It's the exact same problem everyone else is describing. Basically I can't simply boot up my tablet if I plan on using the microSD card (a 200GB SanDisk btw - supposedly the tablet supports mythical 2TB cards as well). Most of the time I have to reboot and then it typically works from then on.

I seriously doubt the problem is the card - the OP even tried three different 128GB cards. I tried formatting it in NTFS and changing the removal policy in Device Manager with no success. These are good suggestions but I'm very skeptical they work since not everyone is getting fixed. I think those who think they fixed it are experiencing what I consider a lucky coincidence which isn't going to last.

Wish there was a proven solution because it's quite maddening to have to boot your tablet twice before using it every time. I'm leaning towards this being some weird Windows driver issue not specific to the hardware. I mean - how can it be the hardware if it works fine after every reboot?

Sid Gup12

Just joined here. I purchased a Surface 3 running Win 10 just a couple of weeks ago. Picked up a Samsung Evo 128gb card and am having the same problem described here.

Have tried the tape, changing the policies setting in device manager changed formating from exFat to NTSF with no luck.

Will take the card back and try a Samsung and see what happens.

For my SP3 Pro I had this card: Amazon.com: Samsung 64GB PRO Class 10 Micro SDXC up to 90MB/s with Adapter (MB-MG64DA/AM): Computers & Accessories and it gave me zero problems with Win 10.

Just out of curiosity: does the card show back up when you take it out and re-insert it (without rebooting).?

flann

OK, I've been having this same problem for a few months now (128GB SanDisk). I dont think the problem is the actual SD card. I've tried multiple. What I do notice however is that the problem manifests when I connect another USB device (e.g. iPhone) to the USB3 post on the SP3. Am going to try reinstalling the device driver for the main (eXtensible) USB controller and see if that helps.