What's new

15" Macbook Pro (mid 2015) vs. Surfacebook?

tony8154

I'm not sure this has been asked before, but which would perform better for gaming?

Although the Surfacebook has been compared to the 13" MBP, just in terms of price, I feel it should be compared also to the 15" MBP.

Any thoughts or data to share?

Thanks.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dumb question, is there a specific configuration you had in mind or does the 15" MBP only have one configuration?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see any good Apples to Oranges comparisons.

Notebook check has this 15" MBP review but their SB review is on the i5
Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15 (Mid 2015) Review

However, the R9 M370x didn't look all that impressive a lot may depend on the thermal envelope available in the 15" MBP. Although they are known for having very noisy high velocity fans and based size it should in theory be able to dissipate more heat and muscle it's way to better performance at the cost of noise, weight, & heat.

If you're looking at gaming, I'd be asking why you are looking at the Surface Book. I suspect there would be better gaming laptops out there.

The MBP would be more powerful due to the quad core but OSX is a terrible gaming OS

OP
T

tony8154

I don't see any good Apples to Oranges comparisons.

Notebook check has this 15" MBP review but their SB review is on the i5
Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15 (Mid 2015) Review

However, the R9 M370x didn't look all that impressive a lot may depend on the thermal envelope available in the 15" MBP. Although they are known for having very noisy high velocity fans and based size it should in theory be able to dissipate more heat and muscle it's way to better performance at the cost of noise, weight, & heat.

Yes I believe so. After watching a few YouTube videos, it seems that the MBP15 can play games a bit better with slightly higher frame rates and higher graphics settings.

If you're looking at gaming, I'd be asking why you are looking at the Surface Book. I suspect there would be better gaming laptops out there.

The MBP would be more powerful due to the quad core but OSX is a terrible gaming OS
I'm looking at both models because I do like the all in one type of machine. I'm not a serious gamer, but would like at least some gaming capabilities.

As of now it's a choice between the Apple eco system, or the truly versatility of the surfacebook.

I'm currently using a SP3, but the majority of my other gadgets are Apple devices.

macmee

I have a rMBP with discrete graphics and have owned the Sp4, SP3 and Sp2

true but you can just get parallels or bootcamp and that problem's solved quite quickly.

macmee

Afer owning them all what's your opinion? On both?

They're both really good-- the macbook will be more powerful if you get the quad core i7 version and discrete graphics so it can be more of a desktop replacement. The Macbook is also considerably less buggy than the surface although to be fair microsoft has been working on surface stability fixes with the recent firmware updates.

I would probably recommend the macbook more broadly, and then if you specifically want something that's very portable then you could consider the surface.