What's new

1809 update

Tom Gullette

I was surprised to see Windows Update downloading 1809 today. I thought I had read MS was no longer offering it but instead jumping to 1903. Anyone else have this experience?

I can report however there are no problems with it so far, fingers crossed none show up.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should expect 1903 soon on that same machine. Glad it is working well.
AFAIK they won't update a machine to a new release within at minimum 30 days of updating to a release. Has to do with the rollback functionality. The other thing that affects this is the setting you have for the update options, plus their randomality and other factors. Might need the Vegas odds makers to produce a score.

OP
T

Tom Gullette

Good point GreyFox7, hadn’t thought about the 30 day rollback window. Anyway was just surprised to see 1809 instead of 1903. That said, the same thing happened to a generic W10 laptop this morning too so I guess it’s not unusual. Will sit by any wait for 1903.

bondr007

I had already updated to 1809 on my 2017 a while back. Just updated it to 1903 last week and it's running really nice. One of the best updates so far for me. YMMV;)

PS. You can download the media creation tool 1903 at MS and just manually update to 1903. Very easy and straight forward. Just make sure you take out any SD/MicroSD cards and unplug all USB devices before updating to 1903.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tom Gullette

Good to hear it’s got a vote of confidence. There’s no feature I’m particularly looking forward to so I’ll probably just wait. I’ve never used the media creation tool but may give it a go if I get impatient .