What's new

1920X1280 desktop on a 10 inch screen?

SalkinA

You can change those values to 175% if you want to.

VmZoeDl4.jpeg

jrioux

I changed the resolution to 1366x768 manually and it doesn't loo blurry, but it doesn't take advantage of the entire screen I can't find a resolution that fills the screen besides 1920x1280.
I see a recommended resolution of 1440x1080, but the slider doesn't have a stop for that resolution. Is there any workaround to get to 1440x1080?
It would be nice to be able to quickly toggle the resolution so you could change it as needed with a click instead of digging through the menus. Videos and modern apps are going to be better at full resolution.
Digging around the Control Panel, I did find a Display setting where you click "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays." That gives more options for increasing size.
Hummm... you seemed to change the screen size without changing the screen resolution.

I changed the screen resolution on my SP3 to 1366x768 and it fills my screen. It also looks crisp and clear.

OP
N

netuser

Hummm... you seemed to change the screen size without changing the screen resolution.

I changed the screen resolution on my SP3 to 1366x768 and it fills my screen. It also looks crisp and clear.

How can 1366x768 fill a 16x10 screen? Seems like there would have to be unused screen height that would remain blank.

OP
N

netuser

I found the Remote Desktop store app to be more touch friendly and with more zoom options and pointer options that potentially make it easier to use on a high resolution small screen.
However, there would be user training involved to take advantage of it.
Screenshot.202710.1000000.jpg

OP
N

netuser

Y'all might be able to us my regkey hack to set lower-resolution 3:2 aspect ratio modes:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/danchar/arc...tel-atom-x7-cherrytrail-multi-mon-tweaks.aspx

Just tried it at 1440x900 after importing the registry file. A little more screen real estate than the typical 1366x768 laptop, but still very readable on the desktop and you can toggle back to full 1920x1080 for videos or anything else you want at full resolution relatively easily.
This is the best fix so far for local desktop scaling.
I just tried it with the default Remote Desktop desktop application (mstsc.exe), but unfortunately the local display settings do not carry through to the Remote Desktop. So the remote session screen is at what looks like 1920x1280. No scrolling, but text and icons in the remote session look too small for me and probably many of our users.

To make both the local and remote session scaled up to be easy to read and touch, this can be combined with the Remote Desktop Connection Manager 2.2 suggested earlier. RDCM is clunky to configure, and looks like it's from 1998 but once you have it set up the way you want, you save the configuration file so you don't need to do it again. We could probably distribute a pre-configured settings file to users who struggle with small text and tiny UI at default settings.
To avoid having scroll bars in the remote session I had to set RDCM at 1024x768 which is lower resolution than I wanted and leaves wasted screen real estate unused in black bars on the sides of the remote session screen. I hoped I could match the local 1440x900 resolution in RDCM, but you have to scroll vertically and horizontally at that resolution for some reason.

Last edited:

jrioux

How can 1366x768 fill a 16x10 screen? Seems like there would have to be unused screen height that would remain blank.
Oops, sorry... my screen is actually set to 1024x768. It fills the screen fairly well and makes text large enough for me to read.

surfdock

Are you using 1440x900 or 1440x960? 900 will leave black bars. 960 will work better.

I don't know how the screen resolution would cause it to crash, but certainly possible. Can you describe the exact steps that led to the crash like the apps that were open and post a dump file? You can upload to onedrive or dropbox and PM me a link to the file if you don't want to post publically. I'll take a look with the debugger and see if its something the Intel guys know about already or just pass along to my contacts on the surface team.

Typically the dump will be stored at c:\windows\memory.dmp

But if you hit a tdr (Recoverable GPU crash), then there might be dumps in c:\windows\livekernelreports as well. You probably need to be logged in as an administrator to gain access to either location.

OP
N

netuser

I deleted the Windows profile and started over.
I believe I was just trying to open IE and the screen went black for several seconds and then a message balloon came up saying something similar to "the video display adapter driver has stopped responding" and then the display came back. Then a few minutes later a similar issue. I rebooted and the same problem, so I logged in with a different user account and deleted the local user profile and logged back in with a new profile.
I'll have to wait and see if it happens again.
I just changed the resolution to 1440x960 and I think it might look a little sharper, but I didn't notice any black bars at 1440x900.