What's new

2 IE's?

Alex_SP3

OK

I am not up to speed with the "lingo", however, why is there 2 IE's on my SP3?

One in desktop mode and the other in "metro" (I guess that is what you call it if you invoke it from the Start Screen)

The metro one does not display my modem's traffic screen as well as the desktop IE. The real-time graphics are missing. In desktop mode I can watch the in-coming and out-going real-time graphics.

Why are they different? Is it a JAVA thing?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK

I am not up to speed with the "lingo", however, why is there 2 IE's on my SP3?

One in desktop mode and the other in "metro" (I guess that is what you call it if you invoke it from the Start Screen)

The metro one does not display my modem's traffic screen as well as the desktop IE. The real-time graphics are missing. In desktop mode I can watch the in-coming and out-going real-time graphics.

Why are they different? Is it a JAVA thing?
It's more of a Desktop vs nonDesktop/"Windows App" (formerly known as Metro) issue, different underlying application frameworks. No plugins in the nonDesktop version EXCEPT if you include Tracking Protection in the Desktop IE it works in nonDesktop IE too... because no rule is complete without an exception. :)

kundas1

one is optimized for touch interface (metro) and the desktop well is like a reg desktop IE...

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

It's more of a Desktop vs nonDesktop/"Windows App" (formerly known as Metro) issue, different underlying application frameworks. No plugins in the nonDesktop version EXCEPT if you include Tracking Protection in the Desktop IE it works in nonDesktop IE too... because no rule is complete without an exception. :)

Thanks!

I have a better understanding now. It just seems odd to have 2 IE's. It is what it is.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

one is optimized for touch interface (metro) and the desktop well is like a reg desktop IE...

Then, the touch interface does not have some of the functionality of the desktop version. Which apparently is the case in this one instance.

I do prefer the touch interface. Too bad I cannot view my router screens in the same way as the desktop version. As a result, I am glad that there are the 2 versions and I get to pick which one will give me the results that I need.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks!

I have a better understanding now. It just seems odd to have 2 IE's. It is what it is.
I think of desktop as legacy, it has to be there for compatibility and the huge number of desktop apps that exist. For sure the desktop will be around for a long time to come but as more touch apps come online it may be possible in the not to distant future to completely ignore the desktop if you want, perhaps even in a future iteration the Desktop could be disabled administratively.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

I think of desktop as legacy, it has to be there for compatibility and the huge number of desktop apps that exist. For sure the desktop will be around for a long time to come but as more touch apps come online it may be possible in the not to distant future to completely ignore the desktop if you want, perhaps even in a future iteration the Desktop could be disabled administratively.

If they do get rid of one of them, I hope that they will combine the functionality of both into the one. Seems psychizophrenic to me. No it doesn't. Yes it does. Shut up. No you shut up.:D

Last edited:

leeshor

Most people are unaware that 64-bit Windows 7 Pro also has 2 versions of IE, but without the differences that are on Surface. 1 is 32-bit and one is 64-bit.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

Most people are unaware that 64-bit Windows 7 Pro also has 2 versions of IE, but without the differences that are on Surface. 1 is 32-bit and one is 64-bit.

If I had not been playing with both, I would not have known about some limitations in metro IE.

Last edited:

goodintentions

If they do get rid of one of them, I hope that they will combine the functionality of both into the one. Seems psychizophrenic to me. No it doesn't. Yes it does. Shut up. No you shut up.:D

Why would you want less functionality? I love having the option to either use IE in metro or desktop.

As an app developer, I used to change functionalities and interfaces in my apps according to how I perceived as improvements. While most people didn't care, there were always a few that were vocal about changes and people's preferences varied. Nowadays, I always give people the options to do what they want with the interfaces.

If you hate metro, then just stay in the desktop environment and use the desktop IE. If you like using the touch-centric interface, then use metro. I don't understand why people feel the need to force the rest of us to do what they want.

Take windows 10 (aka 7.1) for example. Despite the fact that 8.1 have a desktop that works perfectly, the whiners have won and have forced MS to kill off the metro UI. I don't understand why desktop users have to force the rest of us to only have 1 UI option? What the hell is wrong with having 2 options? If you don't like metro, just stay out of metro. Why force those of us who like both desktop and metro to only have desktop?

I swear, I'm going to campaign and ban dairy products because I'm lactose intolerant.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

Why would you want less functionality? I love having the option to either use IE in metro or desktop.

As an app developer, I used to change functionalities and interfaces in my apps according to how I perceived as improvements. While most people didn't care, there were always a few that were vocal about changes and people's preferences varied. Nowadays, I always give people the options to do what they want with the interfaces.

If you hate metro, then just stay in the desktop environment and use the desktop IE. If you like using the touch-centric interface, then use metro. I don't understand why people feel the need to force the rest of us to do what they want.

Take windows 10 (aka 7.1) for example. Despite the fact that 8.1 have a desktop that works perfectly, the whiners have won and have forced MS to kill off the metro UI. I don't understand why desktop users have to force the rest of us to only have 1 UI option? What the hell is wrong with having 2 options? If you don't like metro, just stay out of metro. Why force those of us who like both desktop and metro to only have desktop?

I swear, I'm going to campaign and ban dairy products because I'm lactose intolerant.

What are you talking about? I just asked why there are 2. A simple question. No need to get your panties in a wad. GEESH!

Someone else said that the desktop version might go away in the future. I just responded that if that becomes true, I hope that they combine the functionality. Surely this doesn't warrant a rant from you.

goodintentions

What are you talking about? I just asked why there are 2. A simple question. No need to get your panties in a wad. GEESH!

Someone else said that the desktop version might go away in the future. I just responded that if that becomes true, I hope that they combine the functionality. Surely this doesn't warrant a rant from you.
Sorry. My rant wasn't directly at you. I'm just frustrated at all the anti-choice people. I don't understand their mentality. If they hate metro, then just stay in the desktop environment. Why do they want to kill the touch-centric UI? I installed windows 10 tech preview and it would seem that metro is gone. Tablet mode in 10 is just auto-full screen for the windows. It's no longer touch-optimized. In other words, the desktop whiners won out and now we're about to go back to windows 7. At this pace, we'll be back to the hammer, chisel, and stone tablets in no time. Why stop there? Let's all go back to the good old days and live in caves and grunt at each other.