What's new

2 Monitors on 1 Docking Station

MikeMerci

I have bought the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station for mi i7 256. My Monitors are actual ones. But I cannot find a solution to connect both screens to the Docking Station as I am used to. Thanks, Michael

bluegrass

I have set up one of my clients with two standard Acer dvi monitors connected to the SP3 like the first example Colorado mentions. I used two mini display port to DVI connectors. Works like a charm. I have used USB adapters in the past but I have never been a fan of trying to push video through a USB port. There is usually always a delay in the video doing it this way.

OP
MikeMerci

MikeMerci

I have set up one of my clients with two standard Acer dvi monitors connected to the SP3 like the first example Colorado mentions. I used two mini display port to DVI connectors. Works like a charm. I have used USB adapters in the past but I have never been a fan of trying to push video through a USB port. There is usually always a delay in the video doing it this way.
bluegrass - John Hotze,

thanks for your comment. But I think that it is not a good way to buy an Original Docking Station and then connect one of the screens every time directly on the Surface. The only solution in my opinion which is right is come to your workspace, clik in the Surface and take it off whenever you need it without unplug other cables.

Thanks, Michael

bluegrass

I guess it depends on how handy you are at plugging & unplugging one plug. If having two monitors besides the SP3 screen is important to you, I wouldn't concern myself with one plug.

Last edited:

Pyro515

Currently right now I'm running 3 24in monitors connected to my Sp3. I have my main monitor running off of a Displayport to HDMI from the docking station and my two secondary monitors running off of this http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Dual...16873000&sr=8-16&keywords=dvi+hdmi+to+usb+3.0
It is a USB 3.0 to both a DVI and HDMI connector.

I'll be honest, I am not the biggest fan of the USB to video connectors. I am currently researching this: http://www.sabrepc.com/club-3d-csv-5300h-sensevision-mst-3-hdmi-hub.html which will natively spit the displayport to up to 3 HDMI connectors. Unfortunately there has been other versions of this that have not worked with the SP3 (or SP2). Now those MST hubs were not a direct HDMI connector, so I have some hope that this will work, but I haven't decided to pay the $160 to figure it out. LOL!

Mike

spepi

I have 2 Acer V233HL monitors connected to Startech adapters - 1 USB and the other miniDisplay, plugged into my dock. It works perfect for what I need. I dont run any graphics intense programs. My SP3 is i7, 8GB, 512GB

Attachments

• surface setup.jpg
    surface setup.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9,363

cheetahdriver

I am using an EV3A displayport hub to connect 3 screens in one location and 2 screens in another location (different dock). The only problem that I have had with the system is that in the second location I was having issues with reboot in sleep and loss of the displayport screens. I found that the Dell Displayport cables included with the monitors appeared to be the problem. When I replaced the cables (after swapping durn near everything else), the issues stopped. The 3 monitor setup is not having this problem, but I plan on proactively replacing those cables as well. Using this system I have pretty much dumped my desktop (now using it to test Win10), and use the docked SP3 with a dasKeyboard, 3 screens and a trackball. I have used Microstation CAD on it, without issue. In the other location I have a Filco keyboard, mouse and 2 screens+the SP3 screen.

alissaknight

Hey, thanks for the thread on this guys. I was wondering how people were achieving 3 monitors with the SP3 + docking station. So I guess basically, you guys are all using the USB > HDMI converters from Plugable. Going to give this a try!