What's new

200G Skydrive?

MJBarnes

Hello, all.

Has anyone been able to get the 200GB of Skydrive space that MS included with either the Surface 2 or the Surface Pro 2?

If so, how? My available storage has not changed.

Thanks!

hypokondriak

Hello, all.

Has anyone been able to get the 200GB of Skydrive space that MS included with either the Surface 2 or the Surface Pro 2?

If so, how? My available storage has not changed.

Thanks!

Yes this is one of my to-do items for the day. How do i get my skydrive updated to 200gb?

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

oion

In the Surface box, there is a small collection of papers. Look for a card that says "Congratulations! +200 GB/Go" and the activation code is on the back.

jdanna

make sure you dont type the dashes in the code when you enter it into your skydrive account.
it puts them in automatically as you type, if you put them in yourself it wont work

Deryl McCarty

Darn, I did input the Skype and Skydrive "codes" complete with lowercase and dashes and it worked like a charm. My total Skydrive space went from 47GB to 247GB (for two years) in a flash. Pretty painless actually. But then again, MS had to make the system work for not very bright folks like me or who have fingers that do not work in consonance with the brain. In my case they succeeded admirably. But follow the instructions on the "card" included with your Surface Pro 2 and you too will smile. Note to MS, however, you may have wanted to offer different storage capacities to different people but keep the same metric of "200GB times 2 years or 400GB-years" E.g., I don't take many pictures or play games much, so perhaps I need 100GB for 4 years, or if I am a big film director I need 400GB for the next year or 1TB for the duration of a 4-6 month film shoot. Just a thought.

oion

Darn, I did input the Skype and Skydrive "codes" complete with lowercase and dashes and it worked like a charm. My total Skydrive space went from 47GB to 247GB (for two years) in a flash. Pretty painless actually. But then again, MS had to make the system work for not very bright folks like me or who have fingers that do not work in consonance with the brain. In my case they succeeded admirably. But follow the instructions on the "card" included with your Surface Pro 2 and you too will smile. Note to MS, however, you may have wanted to offer different storage capacities to different people but keep the same metric of "200GB times 2 years or 400GB-years" E.g., I don't take many pictures or play games much, so perhaps I need 100GB for 4 years, or if I am a big film director I need 400GB for the next year or 1TB for the duration of a 4-6 month film shoot. Just a thought.

This was mentioned in a different thread that was started by someone who does work with video, but everyone needs to remember that SkyDrive, outside the small free capacity (whatever that is), is still a subscription service. Remember that after your 2 years is up! ;) If you have a ton of data to work with all the time that doesn't fit on the Surface or in microSD/USB thumb drives--unless fully collaborative in a corporate setting that can eat the sub cost--a user is far better off investing in a physical storage device like a portable HDD.

kristalsoldier

I have been wondering about this 200GB offer. At first sight it is generous, but after 2 years, it costs money - may not be a lot, but still. This leads me to ask: What happens if I use, say, 100GB after two years and there is still 100GB left. Can I opt to only pay for the 100GB thereby willingly foregoing the rest of the 100GB?

As it is, for my purposes, I would not - optimally - like to keep more than 100GB of online storage. I'd rather keep the rest of my stuff on my own storage devices (portable and otherwise). The 100GB is only for essential files that I would need on a regular basis and those files that would be good to have in crunch times.

oion

I have been wondering about this 200GB offer. At first sight it is generous, but after 2 years, it costs money - may not be a lot, but still. This leads me to ask: What happens if I use, say, 100GB after two years and there is still 100GB left. Can I opt to only pay for the 100GB thereby willingly foregoing the rest of the 100GB?

As it is, for my purposes, I would not - optimally - like to keep more than 100GB of online storage. I'd rather keep the rest of my stuff on my own storage devices (portable and otherwise). The 100GB is only for essential files that I would need on a regular basis and those files that would be good to have in crunch times.

Well. Consider that the free SkyDrive capacity is 7 GB. Looking at the price chart, 200GB is $100 a year. So, yeah.... It's a great deal if you only use that much for two years. :p 100 GB is, as expected, $50/annum. I personally will only use the 7 GB free and anything else will go on microSD, USB flash drive, USB portable HDD if necessary. Then if I were to sell either SkyDrive/Skype bonuses, just how much would I charge for it? Meh.

D

Deleted member 10837

I personally don't want SkyDrive or Skype so I'm hoping to sell it to pay for the extended warranty. Copy is the cloud storage service that I use right now in which I have more then 100GB+ of storage for free indefinitely. It works by who ever signs up using a referral link gets 20GB right off the bat then every person you refer afterwards gains you 5 extra GB.

Last edited by a moderator:

kristalsoldier

Well. Consider that the free SkyDrive capacity is 7 GB. Looking at the price chart, 200GB is $100 a year. So, yeah.... It's a great deal if you only use that much for two years. :p 100 GB is, as expected, $50/annum. I personally will only use the 7 GB free and anything else will go on microSD, USB flash drive, USB portable HDD if necessary. Then if I were to sell either SkyDrive/Skype bonuses, just how much would I charge for it? Meh.

Well, given the nature of my work and travel, I do need a cloud storage solution - despite the obvious security concerns, the benefits are greater, for me, that is. But that said, I won't need more than 100GB in the cloud. Moreover, I use the cloud only to mirror the files already on HDDs and other storage devices. I don't put any of my media in the cloud either.

How do you guys plan to sell your SkyDrive allotments? I thought that comes as a part of the deal with the device?

apoc_reg

Loving my 200gb of skydrive a bit too much... fear I will end up having to pay for it at the end of the first year as I may not be able to shrink my files back to 7gb!!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You have it for 2 years and by that time you'll need a new one. Hopefully we get the same deal next time :)