What's new

24/7 screen recording on surface??

klye32

Our company is trying to come up with a viable solution to record our employees screens 24/7 for security and backup purposes. These devices are exclusively used for medical charts and are not used by employees otherwise. Sometimes our charts go missing so we need to be able to record the screen. Every option we've explored thus far has broken the screen recorder whenever we turn the tablet to portrait mode. Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

Plantje

You don't need screen recording. How does the data get on the screen? What you need is a proper database with some decent backups

OP
K

klye32

You don't need screen recording. How does the data get on the screen? What you need is a proper database with some decent backups
So we do have backups on our server, but some of the staff are not very knowledgeable with tech and sometimes make mistakes that make them lose the forms. We need to be able to get back into the screen recordings to get those forms back in case this happens.

OP
K

klye32

We currently have a custom script running that is taking screenshots every 10 seconds but that doesn't seem to cut it as it is quite glitchy.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve put some thought into this, as I have sought for the same thing in an earth science field.

I suggest a video camera on the screen. May seems old-fashioned, but is a direct approach. Set up a small webcam on a small tripod recording screens. During playback, fast forward and “rewind” are easy enough.

Plantje

So we do have backups on our server, but some of the staff are not very knowledgeable with tech and sometimes make mistakes that make them lose the forms. We need to be able to get back into the screen recordings to get those forms back in case this happens.
No, I'm not saying "make backups of the forms"
The forms on the screen are digital, right?
Then what is the source of that data? How does it get displayed on the screen?

What I am suggesting is: at the very moment you get the form (=data) on the screen, you should write that data to a database. And that database should be properly backed up.

If you do that correctly (read: timestamped etc), you can always recover the data. And that is what you want at the end of the day.

If using IT means is not a feasible way, you can always go back to 1983 and use the way @sharpuser was suggesting. To be honest I agree that is then the best way. Full time screen recording from the device itself will not help you if the device is malfunctioning. But I would really only go for this option as a last resort.