What's new

256/512 pre-orders delayed until Dec15?

weedking

FWIW, I had a chat with MS yesterday for this same reason. I pre-ordered my SP2 256GB on 10/7 when the ship date was 10/29. I was told my order would now be delayed till Dec 15th.

D

Deleted member 10837

I am planning on getting the 256GB model with power cover next semester in January anyway so this doesn't affect me.

oion

Hmm, sounds like another predictive capacity error on MS' part--they had problems with Pro 1's supply/demand before, so I don't understand why they have problems now when they could've at least foreseen greater demand for the Pro line. Manufacturing issues instead of business-side inventory decisions? Maybe. On the other hand, my Surface 2 will be shipping on time according to my account order page, so I'm happy about that. Sorry for the rest of you, though. :(

OP
D

Dim-Ize

FWIW, I had a chat with MS yesterday for this same reason. I pre-ordered my SP2 256GB on 10/7 when the ship date was 10/29. I was told my order would now be delayed till Dec 15th.

Thanks, weedking.

I'm not attempting to be paranoid, nor stir up anything... but, I think something is going on that is going to delay a slew of these units. MS got kicked in the crotch for nearly $1B write-down on the initial Surface line due to excessive inventory status. I suppose they limited the initial order quantity or there is something going on with the memory / storage for the larger 256/512 units?

I'm seeing the delayed shipment reported in a lot of sites, aside from CNET & MS. For example: Tom's Hardware, The Verge, WPCentral, GSMInsider, etc.

I pre-ordered mine on 9/29 from Best Buy with a "release date of 10/22". That date has remained unchanged. Albeit, my order hasn't made it through to the "processing order" step. I'm still awaiting fulfillment.

I finally I called Best Buy to inquire as to the ship status. IMO it was just the call center in some other country and he couldn't really have a line of sight to the inventory. But, his screen, based upon my pre-order date, suggested it was on time to ship between 10-22 & 10-27.

I don't know what to expect as of this time...

mld218

I talked to microsoft today to try and get an idea as to when my order SP2 256 and Type 2 keyboard would ship. I ordered back in september and my order says to ship by Oct 21. Today they confirmed that the Pro and keyboard would ship on Oct 21 with delivery for Oct 22nd. I assume that anyone that ordered directly through microsoft and has a ship by Oct 21 on their order would follow the same path. I didn't do anything special during the order process for overnight delivery.

Mine is now listed as "Order In Process". No cancellation option anymore. I have a ship date of "Before Oct 25th" (this is a 32GB Surface 2). Anyone else have that on theirs?

oion

My 64GB Surface 2 + Type 2 order on MS' site now says--

Pre-order now Ships by October 21

I'm in the U.S. and preordered the first day, if that makes a difference. I see a "Request a return" option link.