What's new

2nd monitor via USB adapter

daniielrp

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you have had any experience with USB to VGA/DVI and if there is a preferable brand. I already have one monitor hooked up to the miniDP, so my choices are get the dock (which is a bit expensive) or use a USB to something adapter.

What are your thoughts?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using a USB 3.0 Dock with two monitor ports. The majority of these are based on the DisplayLink Chipset. There's some overhead but not as much as I feared.
Plug in the USB cable and I have connected Two Monitors, USB printer, USB HDD, wired Ethernet, USB wireless keybd and mouse. External Speakers and still have 3 USB ports open.

There are several good ones to choose from in the 80-110 price range. I got Targus unit (more expensive) before some of the others came out but I liked the Flat design vs upright.

Pluggable, Anker, Targus, Cable Matters are good brands IMO, cant speak to others.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I should add that I encountered an issue when moving a monitor from USB/DVI connected to DP connection then back. Windows seemed to get confused about this monitors connection and refused to display anything on the screen. I ultimately ended up doing a refresh to resolve that problem a d haven't tried it again. One other user posted a similar issue here and Surfdoc posted a tool to fix the problem... just wanted to give a heads up in case you see similar...

surfdock

The DisplayLink docks are an economical way to add monitors to laptops and for the vast majority of folks work very well. Just like Greyfox mentioned, there are some issues that come up with specific configs, but there is great support at DisplayLink.com and Plugable.com (local Seattle company). These devices are very popular in the greater Seattle area :)

Tsurugaya

I've discovered that sometimes I'll have an issue with this after undocking my SP3 and then redocking it. Monitors connected to the docking station is no longer connecting. But, if you right click your desktop and select Resolution you'll discover that the monitors are showing as disconnected, just go in and select Extend to this monitor, then Apply and everything will be back to normal.