What's new

3 Minute Battery Life

-dave-

Surface Pro 2 with 8GB Ram and 256GB Storage.

I made a video showing the drastic battery plunge.

https://youtu.be/AdQovfjapH4

Windows 10 Upgraded from 8.1. I went back to 8.1 once to see if it was the update but it was the same so I went back to 10. Otherwise it’s a standard install. At this point it’s useless to travel with. I was considering the Pro 4 but the Pro 2 is only 3 years old and it makes no sense to spend this kind of money to have a non-replaceable battery die so quickly.

Is there anything obvious that I’m missing here? Is this a common occurrence?

Yillbs

Three things that need to happen here. Firstly, go into the device manager, and uninstall the battery drivers. Then, see if you get more than 3 minutes ( don't reboot yet ), then, once you confirm you DID get more than 3 minutes, reboot the device, the drivers will re install. That should fix it, if it does not, you'll need to reset the entire device, and see if that helps, but it likely won't if the drivers didn't help.

then report back and let me know if it worked :)

Thanks!

Yillbs

Thanks but no change uninstalling the battery drivers. Still 3 minutes:(

Once you install the new drivers, you're basically resetting the meter. MS has the ability , through software, to turn off the machine, even if it's not actually dead. However, their is no real way to test that theory. At this point, I'll be the bearer of bad news, either A, do a full system reset, and hope it works, or B, call up MS and get an exchange. If this is a new device do NOT call MS, go back to the store, and return. MS will undoubtably send you a refurb.

Thanks!

Yillbs

Warranty exchange, which obviously you can't even do that. At this point, do a full restore on the device, and ensure it's up to date. If none of that works, you're likely just looking at a bad battery. How many charging cycles do you have on it ? have you already ran a battery report ? Open cmd and type powercfg /batteryreport
it'll open a browser, take pics of that screen and paste them here please.

OP
D

-dave-

OK, Here are the screen shots

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 497
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 425
  • 3.JPG