What's new

3G USB Adaptor with Surface Pro

paulhk88

I have a Sufrace Pro 128GB. I plugged in a D-Link DWM-156 (A3) 3G USB adaptor and installed the Connection Manager, but the driver is incompatible. Could anyone tell me how and where to get the driver for Windows 8? Thanks.

OP
P

paulhk88

It is a working unit. I have been using it on my 3G router with no problem. I have seen some posts that it needs a Windows 8 driver but have not been able to locate it so far.

Nuspieds

My question was how come you don't have the driver? Products often come with a CD and/or they come with documentation that indicates how to download and/or documentation indicating that it is plug-and-play with the OS. Yours indicates that it is Windows 8 compatible. Perhaps you need the firmware update. Anyway, there's definitely a lot of info on the D-Link site.

As an aside, I've had devices that did not auto-detect in Windows and sometimes I've simply had to a reboot and start Windows fresh.

ltcbob11

@Nuspieds. I am sure you didn't intend to come across as attacking the OP, but it sure seems as if you are. In my experience many of the CDs that come with my peripherals are outdated and require going online to find the most current drivers. Perhaps the OP is not as computer literate as you and I. Rather than scare these folks away, maybe we can encourage them and help them succeed.

OP
P

paulhk88

Yes, I had the CD that came with it. I had installed the driver with earlier versions of windows and it worked fine. However, the driver does not work with Windows 8. I am trying to see if anyone had come across the driver for Windows 8.

Nuspieds

@Nuspieds. I am sure you didn't intend to come across as attacking the OP, but it sure seems as if you are. In my experience many of the CDs that come with my peripherals are outdated and require going online to find the most current drivers. Perhaps the OP is not as computer literate as you and I. Rather than scare these folks away, maybe we can encourage them and help them succeed.
By doing my own search and providing the link and instructions to the download material, I am attacking and discouraging?

By requesting clarification on exactly why the OP doesn't have the drivers when they can easily be found online at the vendor's site/the link I provided, I am attacking and discouraging?

By relating past experiences and suggestions to reboot Windows as a possible solution, I am attacking and discouraging?

There are many people in online forums who like to respond with "RTFM." I'm not one of them.

ltcbob11

@Nuspieds,

I wasn't trying to attack you. I am just pointing out how typed words can come across different than we mean them to.

I am not familiar with RTFM. What does the acronym mean?

ltcbob11

@Nuspied,

Never mind. I just googled RTFM. Although the "F" was shown as FINE, I am sure most folks use another word. Lol

Nuspieds

Yes, I had the CD that came with it. I had installed the driver with earlier versions of windows and it worked fine. However, the driver does not work with Windows 8. I am trying to see if anyone had come across the driver for Windows 8.
The vendor Overview page clearly indicates that they are Windows 8 compatible so clearly, according to them, it should work.

Again, make sure you try that reboot; sometimes Windows does that. Furthermore, to reiterate my point about the firmware installation, sometimes the manufacturer's install utility will recognize the device, even though Windows/some apps may not, so you definitely need to try and download the firmware and try the install. As an example, I once had problems with a monitor and the vendor's driver/firmware update utility was able to see it, but not Windows. If that's the case for you, it will be worthwhile to try to firmware patch.

Nuspieds

@Nuspied,

Never mind. I just googled RTFM. Although the "F" was shown as FINE, I am sure most folks use another word. Lol
I know you weren't trying to attack me and all the more reason because typed words, not being the same as spoken words, must be taken into context and history before drawing a conclusion.

I expected you to find out for yourself what RTFM meant, so I deliberately waited. :)