What's new

3rd party chargers?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You say this from experience? (a 3rd party sp1 charger does not equal experience) or are you just making loud noises for the sake of it? Not all 3rd part options are safe or reliable, but some of them are. Maybe some constructive input would be useful.
I might buy one to use as a fire-starter for my next camping trip. :rolleyes:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You say this from experience? (a 3rd party sp1 charger does not equal experience) or are you just making loud noises for the sake of it? Not all 3rd part options are safe or reliable, but some of them are. Maybe some constructive input would be useful.

Of course. Just joking. :)
Many of my chargers are 3rd party (non-OEM recommended)

Regarding experience, I generally avoid non-OEM recommended adapters when:
- Output is AC rather than DC
- Output exceeds about 1500 mA

These are most common with printers, or devices with large 'brick' adapters.

The Surface devices use a simple 12v DC, which is well represented by quality manufacturers.

Tsurugaya

Are there USB cables with the Surface connector on the other end? I have a battery charger and it would be nice to juice up the device in an emergency.

riggi

I haven't bought a 2nd charger for my SP3 yet, but I bought a few for my SP1 off ebay.
One stopped working, one melted and the other is still OK.

The problem with 3rd party for the SP line is that no reputable brand makes them. They are all no - name manufacturers, so it's a bit of a lucky dip.

I would advise not leaving it charging unattended if using a 3rd party.
This is my SP1 charger from eBay that melted. I pulled it out when I saw it melt as I was looking at it. It was really hot.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416805720454.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416805720454.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 723

riggi

If it had been USB, then yes.
USB won't work.
USB is only 5v
SP3 needs 12v
You need a battery pack that can output 12v, and it won't be able to do that via a USB port.

I have the Intocircuit 26000 which I used a lot for my SP1, but haven't bought an SP3 cable yet as they were about $100 last time I looked.

That Nuosi Deng one for $19 looks like it might do the trick though.

Tobias Hjorth

Bought one just like this
Nuosi Deng Charger

Works like a charm and the USB charger is actually better than the stock one as it allows me to recharge my phone LG G2 and SP3 at the same time.
The stock charger's USB out isn't powerfull enough to do that.