What's new

4 Tiles Deep

bosamar

Turned on my RT today and got 4 tiles deep on the display (I took a screenshot). After reboot it went away . Sure wish it was an option; IMO there is too much wasted screen space. Still unable to post screenshots from my RT but hoping Skydrive will fix that problem.

ArnoldC

If you want to embed the photos like what I do, use Photobucket (there is an app in the US Store), upload it there, and for some stupid reason, you have to login back to Photobucket via IE and get the code of the uploaded photo and post it here.

:)

ArnoldC

I am sorry to disappoint you, but SkyDrive does not offer a method to share the photos in embedded form that is useful with

thought I was crazy

Turned on my RT today and got 4 tiles deep on the display (I took a screenshot). After reboot it went away . Sure wish it was an option; IMO there is too much wasted screen space. Still unable to post screenshots from my RT but hoping Skydrive will fix that problem.

Thanks for posting this. I thought I was crazy, but I had the same four row display. It looked better and I'm trying to figure out how to get it back.

ZachBui

yeah I got the same display a few days ago as well. From what I read, it's up to the screen resolution of the tablet...It seems that it adjusts it for maximum layout for the touch screen =/

ZachBui

I did find a way but it affects other settings so this isn't really a good solution. What you send of doing is disabling "NVIDIA Tegra 3" from the Display adapater dropdown. From there the screen will reboot and you will be left with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. You will see you have 4 tiles on the metro ui. The performance is awful since the basic video has 256 MB, whereas the Tegra has around 763MB.

You can easily enable the "NVIDIA Tegra 3" back from the device manager for it to reboot the screen and go back to normal.

I believe the reason this works: How to get four rows of tiles on your Surface RT | JG's Tech Thoughts

-> is because you are preventing the surface won't "reading" what kind of display you have. So you will see the 4 tiles on boot, but the moment you put it on standby it will jump back to 3 tiles.
-> So it seems the default Mobile PC Display" is what is causing it to be optimized for the surface. Not sure if there is a way around it.

So you could make a batch file to disable and re-enable if you wanted to..Web browsing and youtube seems okay. Probably depending on the codec used, video application is very slow, and some apps probably too.Screenshot (64).pngScreenshot (65).png

Last edited:
Having four rows seems to be a bug that someone missed in development. I'm guessing it will get removed rather than allowed. It would be good to make it an option. I actually prefer the four row display. It's still plenty large enough to read and touch.