What's new

4G vs. 8G?

otherminds

I picked up the i5 128 4G model on launch day, and I am absolutely in love. Brilliant machine. The only thing I keep second guessing is whether or not I should have grabbed the i5 8G model. I am not what you would call a 'power' user. However, I regularly use photoshop, but not while any other programs are open or running (maybe a browser window or something). I have been monitoring the RAM use and it never seems to go above 2.9 - 3.1G.

My areas of major concern are: resell value, unforeseen windows update that could eat RAM and the fact that the RAM is static; unchangeable.

Appreciate to hear what some of your thoughts are.

ctitanic

are you feeling that you need more memory? You said no. It's always lower than 2.91-3.1

The immense majority of users do not need the 8 GB. Of course, If you can pay the difference 8 is better.

OP
otherminds

otherminds

As of now, I do not need the memory. I am worry about the future though (windows 8.2 or something). At what point would I need to start worrying about RAM? Perhaps when I am pushing 3.5?

megatronium

A typical use case for me would be: Premiere, Photoshop, Flash, and Office open with a browser. A scenario like that would necessitate 8gigs. For what you described, 4 should be fine. You will get higher resale value with 8gigs though.

ctitanic

As of now, I do not need the memory. I am worry about the future though (windows 8.2 or something). At what point would I need to start worrying about RAM? Perhaps when I am pushing 3.5?
You should be worry about when the system starts acting really slow. Windows does a very good job managing memory. I personally bought the 4Gb one and I'm not worry. You can not predict the future but most likely your will be able to use Windows 9 without any problem.

ElCamino

I also purchased the SP3, 4GB model. I had the SP2 8GB model and usually have several tabs open and use CyberLink PowerDirector 12 editing 2GB to 3GB videos. I do notice it's a bit slower rendering the video compared to the SP2. Still trying to decide whether to upgrade to the 8GB model.

kristalsoldier

I also bought the 4GB, 128GB model, but that is because my work does not require that I have higher specs. Even with the advent of Win 9 (in 2015), I am sure that the device will run just fine.

WorldIRC

When I purchased my SP2, I thought I would require 8GB ram (since Windows 7 w/ my apps needed it). After purchasing it and install the apps I use, I was continuously below 4GB of ram so I downgraded and was very happy with that decision. I purchased the 4GB model for my SP3 and I am just as happy.

OP
otherminds

otherminds

I did a quick test. I opened photoshop, had a movie playing in media player, had word open, had a pdf open, had IE with two tabs open and I never went above 2.8...

I think I should be good.

Shawn Alfenito

I am a heavy user as I use my SP3 for digital paining and Sculpting in Zbrush. I use Photoshop CC, Painter X3, and Manga studio to paint and draw multi layer, high res files and I am only using the 4GB model. I had the 4GB SP1 and never ran into ram issues so I stuck with it. My desktop workstation does have 16GB of RAM but if I need to get real crazy I just resume the project started on my SP3 on my DT. All files are saved on my Google Drive. I have done a 3,000 x 2,300 pixel wide painting in PS on my SP3 with no issues. Hope this helps.

cdf3

I continue to wonder if 4GB will be enough for me as well. So far it handles everything I've thrown at it. Not sure if I'd run into an application down the road that requires a lot of RAM to work efficiently.