What's new

4K monitor not working thru new dock

Houston R32

Okay, I just hooked up my dock to my SPro3. I connected the two 4k monitors (configured to 30 Hz in the SPro3 previously) to the dock and the 1080p to the SPro3, the opposite of what I had before. After changing the connector around, it came up just fine. So I can get rid of the MST hub I had (and the SPro3 Dock).

Looking at change display settings, I do not even have a 60 Hz option under advanced. So I am pretty sure that the dock has an MST and just one DP 1.2 link.

protip

Yeah, to your point, I cannot yet connect either of my 4K displays to the mini-DP port on the Surface Book base while the dock is attached because the dock's connector is too close to the mini-DP port. I've ordered a few alternative mini-DP cables from Amazon to see if I can find one that is sufficiently low-profile to connect while the dock is attached.

I hope this isn't really the only way to get two 60 Hz 4K displays on the Surface Book, but we'll see.

arcitekt

Has anyone else tried to connect a 4k monitor via the new dock? Mine is not working unless I connect directly to the surface display port. FYI - you cannot connect a cable to the mini display port while the dock is connected. The dock plug covers 1/2 of the display port.

I purchased a Dell P2715Q Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 resolution, 4k monitor with the Surface Pro 3. It is working great with the Surface Book and new Surface Dock. I have the same problems as with Surface Pro 3 where when the computer sleeps, the Dell monitor power needs to be recycled to get the computer to output back to the screen.

BTW I have an Apple Display at home with mini display port and it performs fine. The other Apple Display with Thunderbolt at work does not connect at all.

protip

I've now tested my two 4K monitors at 30 Hz and that did not work using the Surface Dock either. I am beginning to lose hope that the Surface Dock does, in fact, support two 4K monitors concurrently. This is all the more frustrating because my friend with a Macbook Pro just showed off how easily it connected to both of my 4Ks at 60 Hz. Looked beautiful and exactly as glorious as I had envisioned this Surface Book would.

I am awaiting Amazon delivery of a variety of mini-DP cables in the hope that at least one of them is sufficiently svelte to squeeze by that hefty dock connector that is all-too-close to the base's mini-DP port.

Telex

Wow - it's such a shame to see someone have to actually shave plastic off of a cable's shield to get it to possibly plug in. Also, the delay for firmware fixes in all of these new Surface Dock issues is really alarming. I have the same issues with trying to use two 4k Samsung U32D970 monitors, and a vantec 5.1 external sound card. I wonder how long I should wait until I ask for a refund for the laptop, dock, and warranty which is in excess of $3,400.00 I don't mind a few glitches here and there, but when you tie in the sheer number, I wonder how patient we should all be.

protip

Same here. The firmware update has not resolved the problems with the Surface Dock (notably for me, the inability to drive two 4K monitors).

Telex

Annnnnnd still waiting on Microsoft/Samsung to get a driver together for this Surface Dock/Book to work with two 4K monitors as advertised.

Telex

This is a review I posted for their Surface Dock after trying to new firmware/build released last night (11/5/2015):

As of 11/6/2016 with newest insider Windows 10 and appropriate drivers, this product does NOT deliver. Not only does the USB controller not function correctly, it does not support dual 4k monitors as advertised. I have spent hours and hours with Microsoft technical support and they are unable to help me. I just called one last time, and they said there isn't even an ETA on it being fixed. I will change my review if their engineers can ever get the product's issues resolved. Until then, I would stay FAR away from this device. If I could give "0" stars, I would have done so.

Cal

Displayport 1.2 link is limited to a single 4k monitor at 60 Hz. Driving Multiple Displays from a Single DisplayPort Output - DisplayPort
That is why the important point is how many links are coming out of the connector. If it is only a single DP 1.2 link, then it cannot drive two 4k at 60 Hz, period. If it is two DP 1.2 links then it should be able to drive both 4k at 60 Hz. But a Skylake only has three available video outputs. Assume one to the internal panel, one to the side port and one to the dock/power port and you have the three available video outputs. So that means while the dock may have two miniDP ports, their configuration is unclear but most likely there is an internal MST hub, which means a single DP 1.2 and thus only one 4k at 60 Hz.

You should try to run one 4k from the dock and one directly from the Book miniDP port. That is your best bet for getting to two 4k at 60 Hz, if they are indeed two different links from the Skylake. That is a much better chance than trying them from the dock alone.

On my SPro3, I had to connect the MST and the two 4k 30 Hz to the side miniDP port. The SPro3 dock port was too flaky.
doesn't work.

Cal

What you might try is setting up the 4ks at 30 Hz. I have 2 4k monitors and a 1080p monitor off my SPro3. I use an MST hub for the 2 4ks connected directly to the Surface and the 1080p to the SPro3 dock. To get it running with the 2 4ks, first one came up at 4k 60 Hz, I set it to 30 Hz and then the other 4k came up at some resolution and I set it to 4k and 30 Hz and things worked. It may take a few tries. I just got my SPro4 Dock to see if it will allow me to get rid of the MST hub, but have not had time to play with it.

I am pretty sure the video on the SPro3 is limited to what I am doing based on the processor chip limits. The SPro4 has more video, so it might do them at 60 Hz, but maybe the drivers or something else is limited. I do not know exactly how many DP links are coming through the connector to the dock and that may be the limit in the end.

doesn't work. nothing works

Telex

The new Surface Dock is such a horrible product compared to the Book itself that I think it would be wise to maybe separate forums for the two.
I don't mean to downplay anyone's issues with the book, but I have had a much better time with it than the silly dock.

The lack of dual 4k support is really getting old, plus the USB controller stinks as well. I have faith they can figure this out, but it's affecting all brands, not just Samsung. "Git er done" Microsoft, you are running out of time.