What's new

4K monitor not working thru new dock

tdf2001

Currently, I am using one 3840*2160 4K monitor, and one HD 1920*1080, and it works fine. Microsoft is the master of false advertising. I even found a class action lawsuit about issues they claimed with the Surface. It's kinda sad overall... Microsoft faces class action lawsuit over the Surface’s lack of usable memory

That's what I got working fairly reliably at this point. No luck at all with 2 4k monitors at all either. I have no tried yet to manually force 30hz. That sounds promising but based on your feedback I am not hopeful.

Keying off of the sentiment raised by BearFlag concerning the drivers, is there a consensus forming about whether the Surface dock will ever support two 4K monitors as was promised?

I've got all of the latest firmware updates and the latest Windows 10 build installed (non-Insider, mind you) and the dock still does not work with two 4K monitors attached.

As I have posted above, this is further frustrated by the fact that the Surface Book's engineering made the built-in mini DisplayPort difficult to reach with a conventional mDP cable when the dock is attached. However, with some shaving of cable connectors, it is possible to attach a mDP cable to the Surface Book base while the dock connector is attached. Nevertheless, this does not resolve the problem and the inability to power two 4K monitors remains.

I'd really like to hear from anyone else who has two 4K monitors: is there any magic incantation to get this to work? Frankly, I'd like Microsoft to explain how they felt comfortable making the advertised claim that this supports two 4K monitors. Certainly somewhere at Microsoft (in a QA lab perhaps?) this was set up for testing? How was it done?

Thank you for such a detailed description.....we were just about to take a Dremel tool to the display port cable to see if we could make it fit with the dock cable attached! : - )
This is a HUGE engineering gaff by Microsoft. So now I can't have two monitors hooked up to my dock *and* plug in a projector to give a presentation in my office. I have been doing this for 10 years with various desktop & laptop docking stations - it's not exactly rocket science to assume this scenario. This miss is probably the result of a software company designing hardware. Other than this glaring shortcoming, I must admit that I like the SurfaceBook quite a bit, and as you may have already guessed, I am not the biggest Microsoft fan. However, I will give them credit for the SurfaceBook...the device is wonderful when used in mobile mode (not connected to peripherals at a workstation). The fix for this shortcoming is simple....make a better docking station that can handle 3 display ports....or add an HDMI port. Do *something* to offer your customers more flexibility....or I will simply move onto another device.

plowcow

Has anyone yet found a way to connect 2 4K monitors to a surface dock and get them to work successfully? I recently bought a surface book 2 i7 13", have the docking station and 2 Samsung 4K monitors, and they do work, but only at 1920 x 1080 and fuzzy as hell.. horrible to use.

My old desktop, 6 years old has no issues... running the 4K Monitors.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone yet found a way to connect 2 4K monitors to a surface dock and get them to work successfully? I recently bought a surface book 2 i7 13", have the docking station and 2 Samsung 4K monitors, and they do work, but only at 1920 x 1080 and fuzzy as hell.. horrible to use.

My old desktop, 6 years old has no issues... running the 4K Monitors.
You should be able to as long as your mini-DP to HDMI are active, but you will have to run them at 30Hz as its a limitation of the Intel GPU...

plowcow

You should be able to as long as your mini-DP to HDMI are active, but you will have to run them at 30Hz as its a limitation of the Intel GPU...

Thanks Jeff.

Does 30 Hz mean the image (text) sharpness reduces? I don't do any gaming, so am not worried about video performance.

How do I make my screens run at 30 Hz..?

Cheers

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jeff.

Does 30 Hz mean the image (text) sharpness reduces? I don't do any gaming, so am not worried about video performance.

How do I make my screens run at 30 Hz..?

Cheers
It would be setting them up from the Device Manager (Depending on the monitors and adapters you may be able to get one at 60Hz)

Richy

I am having issues being able to extend the desktop to 2 external screens.

I just purchased a surface book 2 - 15" with the following specs:

- 16GB RAM 1866Mhz LPDDR3

- 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8650U quad-core processor

- 4.2GHz Max Turbo and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 discrete GPU with 6GB GDDR5 graphics memory.

I also purchased a surface dock. The surface dock has 2 x mini DP ports and 2 x USB 3.0 ports.

I also have a Dell Ultra Sharp 34” Curved Ultrawide Monitor (U3415W). The Dell U3415W monitor has the following video inputs: 1 x mini DP, 1 x DP, 1 x HDMI and 1 x MHL. And has the capability of displaying 4 discrete video inputs simultaneously (supposedly).

I connected the surface dock to the monitor with 2 cables. The first connection is from the surface dock mini DP port to the monitor's HDMI video input using a mini DP to DP cable and a DP to HDMI converter. The second connection is from the surface dock mini DP port to the monitor’s DP video input using a mini DP to DP cable.

When I try to extend the desktop to utilize the monitor as 2 independent screens, Windows 10 only recognizes one of the screens (the HDMI input on the monitor). Windows 10 does not recognize the screen via the DP input on the monitor. Also, the screen displays the HDMI input, but the monitor tells me there is no signal from the DP input (although it knows there is a cable plugged into the DP input).

Can anyone help me? I would like to leave the surface book connected to the surface dock (with the surface book closed) and have the desktop extended to 2 screens on the single monitor. Thanks for any help you can provide.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I am having issues being able to extend the desktop to 2 external screens.

I just purchased a surface book 2 - 15" with the following specs:

- 16GB RAM 1866Mhz LPDDR3

- 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8650U quad-core processor

- 4.2GHz Max Turbo and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 discrete GPU with 6GB GDDR5 graphics memory.

I also purchased a surface dock. The surface dock has 2 x mini DP ports and 2 x USB 3.0 ports.

I also have a Dell Ultra Sharp 34” Curved Ultrawide Monitor (U3415W). The Dell U3415W monitor has the following video inputs: 1 x mini DP, 1 x DP, 1 x HDMI and 1 x MHL. And has the capability of displaying 4 discrete video inputs simultaneously (supposedly).

I connected the surface dock to the monitor with 2 cables. The first connection is from the surface dock mini DP port to the monitor's HDMI video input using a mini DP to DP cable and a DP to HDMI converter. The second connection is from the surface dock mini DP port to the monitor’s DP video input using a mini DP to DP cable.

When I try to extend the desktop to utilize the monitor as 2 independent screens, Windows 10 only recognizes one of the screens (the HDMI input on the monitor). Windows 10 does not recognize the screen via the DP input on the monitor. Also, the screen displays the HDMI input, but the monitor tells me there is no signal from the DP input (although it knows there is a cable plugged into the DP input).

Can anyone help me? I would like to leave the surface book connected to the surface dock (with the surface book closed) and have the desktop extended to 2 screens on the single monitor. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Please don't cross-post... You started another thread